Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've searched and searched and I know it's right in front of me... but I can't see it.

I'm looking for: "the list", of preventive replacements/checks that should be done once the charriot reaches 100K.

Thanks.

p.s. while I have this blind spot, I'm going to search and most likely post... where's the "long trip emergency spare list" :)

Many thanks.

89 1500SE

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Timing belts, oil filter, gas filter, new plugs, leak down test for valves after adjusting them, alternator output, brake pads, master rebuilds, clutch, throttle cables, shocks, fork seals, radiator flush, water pump and seals, flush engine oil with solvent in old oil mix, and then new oil; carbs rebuilt.

Compression test...

Of course there is always if it ain't broke don't mess with??

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi there is no magic list if you have serviced the bike as described in the manual and it is generly well looked after thats it,the 8,000mile service interval covers every thing that needs to be chequed, something that may have been replaced by one guy dosent mean it has to be replaced by the next as for what brake down tools ect the tool kit with the bike covers most things, add a rollof duct tape couple of cable ties or as RB has said just replace the bike there is guys out there with 300,000miles on these machines and never had the engine out

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Great tool box, thanks. I'm also in search of the actual Wing replacement parts one should carry on a road trip. I would of never thought about a fuel pump; until I had to replace it and found I could do it for $50.

thanks.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Im with agnogel here, once you followed the routine service and timing belt and other change intervals,all you need is some common sense when inspecting your wing.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
imported post

Keep doing what you doing, stay with the routine service schedule. An keep riding!

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

Just remember one thing.... yes the heavy list above is appropriate, but a lot of times you can do more harm to your machine digging deep than not.

We perform PM's "Preventive Maintenance" on customer dependent machines regularly. A lot of times, we have to repair what the engineer did when trying to PM the machine, even when he had the best intentions.

Use common sense, do basic car/motorcycle maintenance, do the "musts" (like timing belts), but let Seafoam do what it was meant to do! :)

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
imported post

RB wrote:
Timing belts, oil filter, gas filter, new plugs, leak down test for valves after adjusting them, alternator output, brake pads, master rebuilds, clutch, throttle cables, shocks, fork seals, radiator flush, water pump and seals, flush engine oil with solvent in old oil mix, and then new oil; carbs rebuilt.

Compression test...

Of course there is always if it ain't broke don't mess with??
no valve adjustments needed on 1500s,

Timing belts, clean the alternator brushes, fuel, air and sub air filters. rear drive oil,

Mine has 138k and have never had the water pump replaced, nor have the carbs been off, it purrs like a Goldwing should and is averaging 27mpg, it would do better, but I have a heavy wrist.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Depends on the work that's been done in the recent past. Checking the caliper mounts to make sure the calipers are free, changing the desiccant in the air system, replacing the subfilter, replacing the air filter if it's been there for over 30,000 miles are a few items to look at. Some attention to the steering head and swing arm bearings wouldn't be a bad idea since they've probably never been checked or lubricated since the bike was new. A hand check of the wheel bearings would be good too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.