Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Good friend is selling me a 81 Goldwing, not the interstate version, with 71xxx miles for $700. When he put it in storage he turned the gas off, put fuel stabilizer in it and forgot about it for a year. When we tried to start it it immediately ran and he ran it at 3k rpms for about 3-5 min then it shut down. Now it will crank but it wont turn over. He said he will try it again tomorrow. Should I be concerned about anything?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

turn off the fuel and crank it.. It may be flooded do to sticky floats.. If you get it to start up and run, turn on fuel and quickly tap on the float bowls. I would also get a can of seafoam and run a whole can threw it.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

Before trying to restart it, pull the air cleaner and be sure you didn't suck in a mouse nest. They love to get in there.

I would also suggest dumping the fuel that's been in the tank and start with fresh.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

what you mean by it will crank but not turn over?
is the engine spinning when you press starter.
try a few shots of starting fluid from an arosal. to see if it lacks fuel. check engine kill switch on right handlebar.
If you mean its a standard no fairing 81 it is much nicer and probly worth more than one with a fairing.
the fact of tha matter is a 81 goldwing not running would be only worth 300 to 400 dollars tops
wilf

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

Dumb, I know, but it happened to my Dad and he torn into the bike with reckless abandon only to relize hours later that the kill switch was off. Happened to me the other day and took about 5 minutes for me to relize what was going on.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

Completely drained the battery of my first bike, an 84 Shadow, by trying to crank it with kill switch off. At least on the Goldwings it's more apparent - to me at least :)

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the tips. I'm headed up on Sat. to see if I can fix it myself before I commit to buying it.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

sounds good

Don[t know the condition of the bike but just remember at 700 for the bike you are doing him a favour not getting a deal

Wilf

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Silly question - Did he turn off the fuel tap when he put it into storeage?.... if so it may just need turning back on.

Otherwise check the air filter and put in fresh fuel.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

Offer him $500 as is. You can always part out the bike and make some $$ if you can't get it running.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
imported post

Tell him I'll give him $800.00 for it...If you are a true friend..Got a photo of it?:ROFL:eek:h but you said it wasn't an interstate forget it..

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

RayJay1959 wrote:
Offer him $500 as is. You can always part out the bike and make some $$ if you can't get it running.
I'd go for the above. If it started and ran for a while and shut down without going bang then it's probably not terminal but you'll probably end spending money on gaskets and rebuild kits

Or let him get it running properly and pay the full amount. Never nice beating down a friend on a price but then he wouldn't want to stiff you with a non runner...hopefully

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

Check fuel filter could be clogged or fuel lines. Ive done the kill switch thing before, boy did I feel Dumb..Should have know better Good luck

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

Went For a Ride with the wife,the other day rode for a couple of hours and pulled over at a small place to get coffee and walk around. Got back on the bike and tried to start her up she would turn over but no fire.Then I notice that kill switch was off,My wife !! likes to grab hold of the handle bars to get on and had hit the kill switch took me a couple minutes to figure out what was wrong. Talk about feeling stupid DA! Good luck Hal

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Assume you mean it ran at throttle setting of 3000rpm. for 3-5 min. then quit.?
Ditto Richardrwg , check for mice nests in air filter.
Drain old fuel if it smells bad , replace fuel filter.
Ensure you have good spark and check for hydrolock.
Check oil for gas contamination.
Tap all carb. bowls to loosen up floats.
If she starts , do Seafoam treatment to clear out the nasties.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.