Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Seen on the news and internet where London was hit again with some more explosions in the subway and another bus. Very little injuries this time, so far. My heartfelt codolences to our friends across the pond, I pray that the SOBs get caught who are planning these attacks and hopefully the British would bring back the noose for them, they don't deserve to sit in a prison on the taxpayer's dime (pence for our British freinds) and be treated like little boys who might get better if they set in the corner. Hang them or shoot them, but get rid of them!:(

Gene:X

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

I agree with you....Hang those gutless weasels from a big tall tree and let them rot:X

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

They screwed up because "Scotland Yard" will find them and may get peed off and keep goinguntil they find "Osama Ben Jerkhead"!:battle:

Love her or Hate her "Maggie Thatcher" would have hunted them down and hung em by their "gonads" !!!

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

Ihave a fireant hill that would be great to stake them out on!!:thumpingmad:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Actually I was amazed those guys survived. You'd think when their detonators went off it would have marked them well enough that the passengers would have taken them apart before the police could have gotten there.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Actually I was amazed those guys survived. You'd think when their detonators went off it would have marked them well enough that the passengers would have taken them apart before the police could have gotten there.
I know if it happened around me in that way I would have been all over his arse!!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Tonys96 wrote:
Funny gun laws in the UK, I know they wouldn't have made it very far here.
Not only that but I'll bet there's an increase in the number of handguns soldand concealed carry permits issued of late. As long as I'm not senile or feeble I wouldn't rely only on the police for my safety. Never had a fear of people being armed if they weren't drunk, druggies or crazy. Of course I fear those, but all the damn gun laws in the world won't affect anyone who ignores them. Even in countries with draconian gun laws, I'll bet the only difference is in the price of the guns and the fact that only the criminal class has them. Does this really make you feel more secure?

I know a lot Europeans don't understand that fact about the US. We never had a monarchy or nobility. In feudal Europe the only people who could carry weapons were the elite. Since the US was founded on a belief that royalty was anathema and that individuals should be equal in their freedom, we all could have weapons. May as well, the bad guys do!

End of rant!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Not only that but I'll bet there's an increase in the number of handguns soldand concealed carry permits issued of late. As long as I'm not senile or feeble I wouldn't rely only on the police for my safety. Never had a fear of people being armed if they weren't drunk, druggies or crazy. Of course I fear those, but all the damn gun laws in the world won't affect anyone who ignores them. Even in countries with draconian gun laws, I'll bet the only difference is in the price of the guns and the fact that only the criminal class has them. Does this really make you feel more secure?

I know a lot Europeans don't understand that fact about the US. We never had a monarchy or nobility. In feudal Europe the only people who could carry weapons were the elite. Since the US was founded on a belief that royalty was anathema and that individuals should be equal in their freedom, we all could have weapons. May as well, the bad guys do!

End of rant!
Hit the nail on the head there Exavid, gun laws here suck, I have no desire to carry or own one, still wouldn't even after these events, but banning them with a blanket law does nothing for safety. The criminals will have access to the best guns they want still, I even know where to go to get one!!! Some friends of mine in gun clubs had to hand in all their guns, they were responsible target shooters only, not even hunters. One of them handed in a gun which was later used in a fatal shooting in South Africa. Now how did that help???:baffled:

At least we now hear that one alledged bomber has been blown away by police. but I bet there will be more around the corner. No one here is that affected, as if we would all start running scared??

Thanks for all your support though, it goes to strengthen the resolve.

Pete

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

I question whether there is real resolve, the media and politicians are playing this angle , Londoners defying the bombers , what choice do they have? Dont go to work? They have to use the bus or the Tube , I don't see Ken Livingstone stopping the congestion charging scheme to help the poor commuters get to work in their cars?

Our London Office is open for business as usual, some staff are staying home though , others are trying to find alternative transport, I have cancelled meetings in London as a result of this , I wonder what the knock on effect to business will be ....

Thanks for your words of support though

BB

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I was happy to see that the London Police nailed one of those bastards. I hope they eliminate many more. I really like animals resisting police, it can save a lot of time and they get more of what they deserve.

It's gratifying to see the people of England acting as staunchly as ever, they do have a choice, they could be craven cowards like the appeasers of Spain, but from the news we hear over here the majority reaction to this outrage is a credit to them and thecountry.

I hope the interruption to your business will be short lived.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Black Bart wrote:
I question whether there is real resolve, the media and politicians are playing this angle , Londoners defying the bombers , what choice do they have? Dont go to work? They have to use the bus or the Tube , I don't see Ken Livingstone stopping the congestion charging scheme to help the poor commuters get to work in their cars?

Our London Office is open for business as usual, some staff are staying home though , others are trying to find alternative transport, I have cancelled meetings in London as a result of this , I wonder what the knock on effect to business will be ....

Thanks for your words of support though

BB
BB you also seem to have the handle on this one, I'd like to think that the public overall do have resolve, just the natural instinct, as shown during the Blitz and let's be frank, it hasn't escalated to that yet. But you have a very good point about the congestion charge angle. Fat chance of the government making any changes, and I don't just say that because it's Labour in, they would all be the same.

It is good that they got one bomber, but that won't relieve this situation, there will probably be more in the wings to do the same. The real problem is if they get to affect the infrastructure of the country, that will hurt, and is probably their aim.

This is a completely different enemy, perhaps only comparable to the resistance organizations of WW2. Look at how affective that small band were at disrupting the enemy then. I wouldn't want to be in the position of trying to plan anything against them, it must be a nightmare against such fanatics.

I too hope this doesn't cause your company too much trouble, as with all companies and people in London.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
imported post

To our brethren in the UK, you have my heartfelt and deepest sympathies. Having worked through 9/11 here, and literally work with persons involved in the follow-up investigations, these current events are striking a personal nerve. Several of the personnel I work with that are employed at the FBI have talked about their experiences in the aftermath.

Personally, I felt a grave desire to protect me and mine. I am sure you are feeling the same. The difference is that here where I live and grew up is sometimes still considered the "wild, wild west." Different even with the eastern part of our country. Growing up it was nothing to see shotguns or rifles in cars and trucks that the kids drove to high school as they were going hunting before or after school. Even that has changed.

Utah is considered a "shall issue" state regarding concealed carry permits which means that if you follow the steps you can have a concealed carry permit. The state has to prove that you cannot carry here. And while we have several thousand permit carriers (from all over the world, literally; UK, China and France) our crime rate isn't so bad. Yes, I have been known to carry and yes, i have access to a personal protection shotgun at my residence but I also have access to a Sykes-Fairbairn that I can use as well. (Nod to the UK. GREAT knife...)

I don't/didn't want to get on a soapbox, but apparently I have. Please, if I have offended anybody, accept my apologies. Guns, like helmets, should be by choice. But should also be available if desired.

Ruaidh

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

I agree with the "shoot to kill" orders but as a driver on the tubeI am also worried about over zealous reactions.

This is from the news :

Such was the confusion that as the driver of the train tried to get to safety by fleeing down an underground tunnel, he was pursued by armed police who held a gun to his head before realising their mistake.

Thank god no one was injured

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

The problem in England is that they are too soft on watching Muslims. I hate to use a blanket statement like that, but it's reality these days. Most Muslims in England are law abiding citizens just like here, but the fact of the matter is, civilized countries need to watch mosques (spelling?) in their countries to keep an eye on what the people attending are doing. Many mosques have radical fundementalist clerics who "quietly" preach radical Islam which includes the murder of ANY "infidel", whether, man, women, or child. Keeping an eye out, which does include having to "profile" people, will greatly reduce the chance of incidents like this from happening and to some extent that's we are doing in the US which I think is helping.

As for guns laws, they are useless and have no effect on gun crimes. The only thing gun laws do is take weapons out of the hands of law abiding people. Many politicians love to enact gun laws because they know that the voting public will believe that they are being protected in some way, which is really not true. The politician probably knows that they useless, bureaucratic laws whichwill probably do nothing to curb crime but since voters may vote for them because of it, they do it anyway.

It's been shown that countries that inact sweeping gun laws (restricting purchase, banning, etc.) show a sharp increase in crime afterwards! There are also countless stories of how gun owners save their own life and the lives of others every single day. Every day of the year. But you never hear these stories because good news is not money making news, bad news is.

Just my 2 cents. :)

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

HI,re the shooting of the manon the train it has since been established that he was in the country illegally,so perhaps the powers that be should look at the immigration laws.bikerfred

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
imported post

Sorry to be a pain, but what exactly has this conversation got to do with Goldwings?, having spent most of my life living near the border of Northern Ireland, I have had a bellyfull of guns and terrorists, I come in here to talk and read about bikes, or more specifically Goldwings, lets leave these types of conversation to the political forums, which, by the way, I avoid like the plague.....

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

GreenWing wrote:
Sorry to be a pain, but what exactly has this conversation got to do with Goldwings?, having spent most of my life living near the border of Northern Ireland, I have had a bellyfull of guns and terrorists, I come in here to talk and read about bikes, or more specifically Goldwings, lets leave these types of conversation to the political forums, which, by the way, I avoid like the plague.....
GreenWing if you noticed this is the "General Disscussion Forum" which is for all none Wing related subjects as well. This is the area to put out announcements, greetings, general information. The "Technical Forum"is strictly GoldWing stuff.:D Also if you noticed I was sending my condolences to our riding brethern over the pond in London. So in a way is was GoldWing inspired, since if I didn't have a GW, and I wasn't a member of this group, then I probably would had not said anything.:doh:

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
imported post

Sorry Gene, I disagree, this thread is political and inflammatory, your comments of "Hang them or shoot them" as well as other comments such "Hang those gutless weasels from a big tall tree and let them rot" ,"Maggie Thatcher" would have hunted them down and hung em by their "gonads" etc., etc., do not belong on this forum, as I said before this forum is about Goldwings, not gutter politics, however, I will leave it up to Ciaran or Steve to make the call this issue...

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

I'm closing this thread. Posting our condolences is fine, but I'm afraid some of the comments meanthis is getting a bit out of hand. I should have put a lid on it before but I didn't really notice it until today. :waving:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.