Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Yesterday I went for a ride with a bike I have had for 2 weeks now and just before I got home and right in the middle of the city of Ocala heavy traffic, I started hearing this rattle. I have been fooled by my tool kit rattling around in this very same area so I continued on home.

When I got there I decided to check on my tool kit in case it had jumped out of its little pocket in the rear of the right saddle bag.

To my surprise the rear latch was unlatched but still in the locked position. I could have lost the top of my saddlebag in heavy traffic and possibly caused amajor accident.

Now im wondering how to correct this problem. All four latch's are loose on my saddle bags. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was done to eliminate the problem? :?

http://www.members.cox.net/jaymom4/hobbies%2025.jpg

Thanks,

Harold

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

There is rubber in the saddle bag lid that compresses so the latch holds tight. If the rubber is worn or missing it could cause your problem. You should get some tethers straps attached to your lids so you don’t loose them if they do come off.

Lid Straps by Rudy

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks, i'll have to look into them.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Install leashes on the inside of the lids and the side covers too, plus anything else that could come off the bike.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

Harold, a very cheap way to fix the worn out rubber seal problem is to remove the seals and give them a godd cleaning, (I used WD40)& carefully set aside & then run a small bead (about 1/4")of silicone around the inside of where the seal sit. Let is sit for a couple of hours until silicone is dry then re install seal & you have a nice new like rattle proof seal. If you want to do a search you could go with large O-rings as well but the silicone method is dead cheap. I did mine 4 years ago & they are still doing great.:waving::waving::action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Angela that sounds like a winner to me. I was thinking about putting the seal they use to keep screen doors in place all around the edges of the door. But your idea sounds even better.

It's Sunday morning and my wife and I are taking the car to church. She won't ride it unless it has arm rest. Guess I can't blame her. Had three offers for arm rest and two fell thru. A gentleman from Spokane offered to sell me one and thinking I had one already right here in Ocala I turned it down. Got to find a set or ride alone I guess.

Thanks for the tip,

Harold

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
imported post

My 1200 doesn't move out of the yard unless saddlebags are locked.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.