Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Greetings, When the engine is first started, all cylinders are firing properly. (each exhaust at engine outlet is at about the same temperature.) After about a mile I lose the left two cylinders. (left exhausts at engine outlet are barely warm)
I re-checked the carb syncrization and that is ok.
I have never had this kind of a problem before and am at a loss. Thanks, Lew

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Get the manual and look up the testing procedures for the pulse generators. Sounds like their shorting out when hot or a coil is shorting out when hot. Since it runs fine when first started then it's not loosing gas, it's loosing spark.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
imported post

doubtful both coils went at once, so ditto on the pulse Gens.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Greetings Patrick, In the late 1940s I started with a Wizzer then moved up to a Cushman. I had a morning paper route and the paper bag fit perfectly over the Cushman seat. Enjoy, Lew

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
imported post

Lew wrote:
Greetings Patrick, In the late 1940s I started with a Wizzer then moved up to a Cushman. I had a morning paper route and the paper bag fit perfectly over the Cushman seat. Enjoy, Lew
Hey Lew, my brother and I delivered the Topeka Daily Capital for about 5 years on bikes only.. Colddd at times.. What is a Wizzer? :)

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
imported post

morriscatt wrote:
Lew wrote:
Hey Lew, my brother and I delivered the Topeka Daily Capital for about 5 years on bikes only.. Colddd at times.. What is a Wizzer? :)
Hey Patrick: A Whizzer is a motorized bicicle. Still had the pedals and chain drive to get you started moving. The engine drive was a belt.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
imported post

dingdong wrote:
morriscatt wrote:
Lew wrote:
Hey Patrick: A Whizzer is a motorized bicicle. Still had the pedals and chain drive to get you started moving. The engine drive was a belt.
Never heard that name before... sure could have used one on my paper route though!
Tom, gonna PM ya about something new..

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I agree electrical is very unlikely. More likely is a fuel flow problem in the carbs. Has someone worked on the carbs recently?? Sounds like the 2 left carbs are slow to get fuel. I know we have some guys here very smart on the 1100 carbs and hopefully they will be able to provide more specific ideas.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Greetings, I recently rebuilt the carbs. (this was in long time storage and I just brought it back to life)I have rebuilt the 1100s before and am very careful. I did static tests before installing and they had good fuel flow.
I checked for air leaks. (sprayed starting fluid on the connections)
I am wondering how a hot engine would effect fuel flow???
I did recheck the syncrozation.
Thanks, lew

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
imported post

if electrical problem, would it have to be at wire connection from each coil?

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Check the allignment of your left side timing belt? That and fuel flow inside the Carb rack are the only 2 things I can come up that the left side has in common.

Have you done a compression test of all 4?

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
imported post

could you be running out of fuel to all carbs and it runs out in left bank 1st? Bad fuel pump?

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I am thinking out loud------ If the tank is full, then it should not matter if the fuel pump is working properly. (it is gravity feed) Am I correct? I will replace the fuel filter and disconnect the fuel pump discharge hose and pump some fuel into a can. That should tell me if that is the problem.
Thanks, lew

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

Just thinking out loud - I would run it until the left cylinders stop firing. Then stop the engine and pull one, or both plug tops. Put them on spare plugs (quicker than pulling the plugs from the engine which might cause it to cool down and stop misbehaving) then re-start the engine for a second to see if the plugs are firing.

Once you have confirmed that the plugs are firing, I run the engine again andloosen the drain plug under one of the left carbs a bit and see if fuel flows out. This should at least let you know if you have fuel in the float bowls and if there is a spark there.

Notice that I suggested checking for a spark before doing anything that might cause some fuel to spill on the engine!!

Hope this helps!!

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

BTW, the fuel is not gravity fed.

I recently tried starting a GL1100 which had been fitted with a new car fuel filter. It wouldn't start until I fitted the original Honda fuel filter.

The automotive filter required much higher suction (or pressure) to make fuel flow through it and it was starving the carbs.

It is also easy to pull the top off the fuel pump and check that the diaphram is not torn. Just be careful taking it off and puting it back on as I hear you can't buy these. If it's torn you need a new pump.

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
imported post

With the tank full it may gravity feed for bit . Its the lower portion of tank thats lower than the carbs . I still lean to a fuel starvation . You said the bike was in storage . Did you clean the tank ? It may have a restriction in the fuel pipe in the tank . It could be that the filter will not flow enough fuel if its clogging with rusty bits from the tank .

As I recall ( not looking at a set just now) the fuel pump feeds into the right bank of carbs first , then passes thru that small straw/passage to the left side .

I would ride the bike ( perhaps you could just let it run at home ) till it starts failing . Then quickly open one of the left side bowl drains to see if its empty or very slow trickle for fuel .

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

It will gravity feed but at such a reduced rate it will not keep up with demand. If the pump is not working then that is your problem. Pump performance is VERY easy to test. Procedures are in the book. Just do the volumn test and ignore the pressure test.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Greetings, You guys are correct. It is a fuel problem. I have good spark. Also, I have a non stock auto fuel filter. The left carbs are starving for fuel. I thank you for your help, Lew

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
imported post

Hey Lew, you can get a MC filter from e-bay very cheap ($5). I just did and it works great. Enjoy..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.