Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. I recently left New York on my way to Florida. Everything was fine until today. The bike started losing power and would only maintain about 50 mph. I stopped, let the bike cool down, checked the fuel filter (it was fine), added some sea foam, and changed the spark plugs. I noticed that the coolant was a little overfilled. Anyway, it seemed fine after it cooled down but about 20-30 minutes later on the highway it happened again. I'm sort of stranded in NC until I figure this out. PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
How long does it take to do it again, if you were to start out ?
could be a plugged vent in the fuel cap.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Intermittent problem with the fuel pump pressure? If you ride it on secondary roads at around 45 mph, do you have the same loss of power?

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Gas cap vent? Spark plug grounding out? Clogged carb. jet? Clogged/bad fuel line? Bad fuel pump? Choke plate sticking? Timing off? Moisture in the electrical/iginition system? Bad Coil? Carb. vacuum piston(s) sticking closed?

So many things to check.

Bill

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Loosen the gas cap and see if it happens again. Since you didn't say it dropped a cylinder or two we can pretty much say it's a fuel delivery problem. I'm thinking, like others, that you have partially plugged fuel cap vent. At least riding with the cap loose will rule that out if it happens again.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
What does it do when it looses power? Is the event instant and then a steady and consistant loss of power or is it a gradual loss of power that has a constant after a period of time (minutes vs. instantaneous).
When it looses power, what do you do to maintain 50mph? Full throttle?
What kind of ignition are you running? Points or electronic? If a Dyna, the 3/4 side has been known to go out by more than one individual. On the highway at speed, the engine will run at about 50 mph wide open on two cylinders. Ask me how I know...

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
What does it do when it looses power? Is the event instant and then a steady and consistant loss of power or is it a gradual loss of power that has a constant after a period of time (minutes vs. instantaneous).
When it looses power, what do you do to maintain 50mph? Full throttle?
Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
Dragging brakes?

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
I'm thinking he's got a Dyna "S" electronic ignition and the 3/4 module is checking-out on him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.