Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi there

I have a 1984 1200 aspencade. Whilst riding last night i noticed a bit of interference in headphones, then the rev counter started flickering eratically. (Digital dash) I then changed down from 5th to 4th and the digital screen flickered. When I changed from 4th to 5th everything died, electrics and engine. I managed to coast to side of the road and was taken home by recovery truck.

When hubby had a look the main fuse had blown. He replaced this and everything fired up again. Anyone any ideas what may have caused this total loss of power as i am concerned it will happen again. (the battery is fine and the extra lights on a seperate circuit off the battery were still working).

THanks

Janet

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
imported post

Janet: The first thing I would look for is a short somewhere in the electrical system. A wire rubbing, loose fuse, loose grounding screw/bolt, etc. It could also just be a bad fuse.

There are other members that will give you a more indepth explanation of a possible cause for the blown fuse.

Also, do a search of this site. Something like this has been discuessed on another post.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

Jan :  My guess would be the %$#&*/forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif  Fusible link ... they look "ok"  and develop hairline cracks..  some current passess, but  the current depends on the bumps and vibrations to that silly fuse/forums/images/emoticons/tongue.gif...  The fusible link lives in the air (how stupid !/forums/images/emoticons/mad.gif) and has little protection...  Have hubby go to an auto parts store, and get a large current (12 ga)  in line fuse holder, and a 40 amp spade fuse (red,I think ) ... and wire  that up across the two little screws that hold the fusible link in place... might have to dremel the  old cover  with notches to make it close ,if you worry about neatness.... ........... and any Wing rider who has " Whilst" in their Vocab is alright with me.......... and welcome to the best Wing forum in the universe !!!!!!! SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

There might be nothing wrong with the bike. Like others have said, those fuses are known to crack from corrosion and vibration. Of course a blown fuse is a different story. Almost all older Hondas do this.

Take SilverDave's advice and replace the fuse holder with an in-line automotive fuse holder. The best way to do it is to completely remove the old fuse block and replace it using solder and shrink-tubing.

If after you replace the fuse it still blows or even gets hot, then you'll have to look elsewhere for the culprit. A wiring diagram helps. Anything not protected by your main fuse panel is a good starting point.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

janhsmn wrote:
Hi there

I have a 1984 1200 aspencade. Whilst riding last night i noticed a bit of interference in headphones, then the rev counter started flickering eratically. (Digital dash) I then changed down from 5th to 4th and the digital screen flickered. When I changed from 4th to 5th everything died, electrics and engine. I managed to coast to side of the road and was taken home by recovery truck.

When hubby had a look the main fuse had blown. He replaced this and everything fired up again. Anyone any ideas what may have caused this total loss of power as i am concerned it will happen again. (the battery is fine and the extra lights on a seperate circuit off the battery were still working).

THanks

Janet
Janet, as mentioned above it could just be a failed fuse (common) but there could be other factors like a shorted bike circuit,or the 2 largered wires entering the starter relay burning & melting (another common problem).

We have covered similar problems here from time to time (you have what seems to be a common problem on the 1200 Wings)..

We justcovereda similar problema week or so ago --Click onlink below--

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/4070.html

Twisty

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

one final question, i have checked with hubby and when he looked at the fuse, it didnt show any blackening at all, in fact he thought it was okay until he touched it. then he felt a hairline crack and it then fell apart.

can this be caused by vibration as we just got back last weekend from our first long run out, we did 350 miles over 3 days and had to ride the bike across the bumpy camping field a few times.

i will feel much better if this is possible as it means a new fuse should correct the matter.

thanks for all your help again.

:jumper:

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
imported post

Another belated welcome, more than likely the failure was due to "OLD AGE" and vibration. But you're still miles ahead if you do the conversion to an automotive style fuse and holder. I kinda' like whilst also.... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

janhsmn wrote:
one final question, i have checked with hubby and when he looked at the fuse, it didnt show any blackening at all, in fact he thought it was okay until he touched it. then he felt a hairline crack and it then fell apart.

can this be caused by vibration as we just got back last weekend from our first long run out, we did 350 miles over 3 days and had to ride the bike across the bumpy camping field a few times.

i will feel much better if this is possible as it means a new fuse should correct the matter.

thanks for all your help again.
janhsmn, probably not caused by vibration as that fuse link is pretty well secured on both ends & not allowed to vibrate in the middle.. If it was a hairline crack ( a common failure mode) it was probably caused by heating (expanding)& cooling (contracting) of the fuse material over it's lifetime.. Make sure you have him check those 2 large red wires (look for melting plastic or the inability to pull the connectors out of the cavities).. Any problems with those red wire terminals & you are looking at a future problem..

Twisty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.