Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a recent trip I was driving west on I-40 in AZ about 75mph (in the dark) and the body panel that you remove to check the oil level on a GL1800 flew away. As it was dark and I was rolling at least 75mph - I did not stop to look for it.

Is this a common? Is there a tether I should attach? This thing costs $135 new (and I though prescriptions drugs had a high markup).

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Replace your grommets on all the covers. They wear out and don't hold the pins after a while.

You can buy tethers from Cyclemax or make some from fishing line or zipties. Good insurance to tether them.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got my new ($135) panel and decided take the advice to replace all the grommets . Several were completely worn out, pushed back through the hole, etc. I guess the panel I lost I lost because it gets removed the most often as I check the machines oil level. I am going to tether it.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
Make that three thumbs up on Rudy's keepers..I got a set, since my son has two running a rideable motorcycles, I gave them to him.. There was one panel on that Yahama I rode at N-5 that we discovered two of the pegs broken, but its one that you don't normally take off that much. Put a keeper on it and that battery side panel on his sportster....Guess what???

Yup riding that Yahama to Austin, that cover blew off!!!, but stayed with the bike. He now has ordered a new panel...The Harley so far hasn't blown off, crazy how its mounted, but at $125.00 for a used one they ain't cheap either...So yeah those keepers are cheap at twice the price..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.