Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hello everyone and thanks in advance. I have been taking your advice for a while but first time posting. My bike was not started for a while so when I went to stat it , it was dead. so i tried jumping it off with my truck with little success. Then I charged it overnight and it charged up just fine. However, it was dark and I notice I had not light and the gas hand showed empty, although it had gas. Reverse also did not work. I went to autozone and had them check the fuse and all seemed good. Is the box beside the fuses, fuses as well. We couldnt ge this cover off do to lack of rooM. Does the seat need to come off ? Probably some dumb questions but I am not very mechanical.





Thanks for your help in advance





Doug:(
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,379 Posts
imported post

the box next to the fuses is the relay box, those with time, can get stuck and have to be replaced. yes seat must come off to get to it.

the headlamp issue could be also related to the starter switch/reverse switch. you will have to open the controlls assembly and spray it with WD40.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,813 Posts
imported post

ddboden1 wrote:
Is the box beside the fuses, fuses as well. We couldn't get this cover off do to lack of room. Does the seat need to come off ? Probably some dumb questions but I am not very mechanical.

Thanks for your help in advance

Doug:(
Doug, Yes, the relay box is located to the right of the fuse block. It has two fuses:

1. Fuse # 13 is the 5-amp backup fuse. (bottom left)

2. Fuse # 12 is the 5-amp head relay fuse. (bottom right)

If you bike starts good, it is not the backup fuse.

I would check the # 12 head relay fuse first.

If good, swap the # 3 tail main relay (top right) with the # 5 air pump relay (third down on the left). They are the same.

It is not uncommon for the # 3 tail main relay to fail causing similar problems to what you have.

There are two possibilities for accessing the relay box.

1. Remove the two mounting bolts and slide the relay box forward enough to remove
the cover.

2. Remove the left saddlebag mounting bolts, pull the bag out far enough to remove
the cover.

Note: Since you have no headlights, fuel gauge not working and no reverse, I seriously
don't believe it is the starter/reverse switch. I betcha you don't have a few other
lights on the dash.

While the starter/reverse switch does affect the headlights and reverse
operation, it has nothing to do with operation of the fuel gauge.

But relay # 3 will affect all of these.

Let us know what you find.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,276 Posts
imported post

The fuel gauges on the 1500's are notorious for their inaccuracies. Mine shows empty and I usually have a couple of gallons left.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,813 Posts
imported post

mikef wrote:
The fuel gauges on the 1500's are notorious for their inaccuracies. Mine shows empty and I usually have a couple of gallons left.
With all due respect.............Will this meet Tim's approval......??

Please read his post again. His problem is:

1. No headlights.

2. Fuel gauge not registering.

3. No reverse.

The inaccuracies of the fuel gauge does not relate to his problems.

Why can't folks just address the issues "without adding a bunch of meaningless stuff" that does not relate to the problem.

That would be nice.....................!!

Sometimes (not necessarily always) adding "unrelated" responses can tend to confuse issues, maybe even causing folks to chase down a "dead-end" lead for nothing. I have seen this happen more than once on various message boards.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,276 Posts
imported post

DBohrer wrote:
mikef wrote:
The fuel gauges on the 1500's are notorious for their inaccuracies. Mine shows empty and I usually have a couple of gallons left.
With all due respect.............Will this meet Tim's approval......??

Please read his post again. His problem is:

1. No headlights.

2. Fuel gauge not registering.

3. No reverse.

The inaccuracies of the fuel gauge does not relate to his problems.

Why can't folks just address the issues "without adding a bunch of meaningless stuff" that does not relate to the problem.

That would be nice.....................!!

Sometimes (not necessarily always) adding "unrelated" responses can tend to confuse issues, maybe even causing folks to chase down a "dead-end" lead for nothing. I have seen this happen more than once on various message boards.
With "all due respect" back at you, he gave very limited information. I, or you have no idea, how long he's had the bike, or what he has found on his own.

I simply stated a fact, that the gas gauges do not read correctly, and YES, you can have a gauge reading "empty", and still have gas in the tank. Once again based on the facts from ddboden1.

I was stating a fact, that the gas gauge may not be affected. IMHO.

I'm sorry if I confused you.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top