Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:X When installing bar risers/setback, one of the shims fell through the frame spaces under the bars (next to the steering stem, under the ignition). it is a small slot where the fairing doesn't cover. just large enough to swallow small items. I've taken off the front panel that's above the lower cowl and mirrored around and fished with a magnet. But to no avail. Then I removed the top shelter, but couldn't find anything I don't know if it made it to the engine or is stuck somewhere around the airbox. Everything seems to be fine with the bike. No rattles or problems.
Except for the bars not being elevated:X, only setback 2", Is this something to be overly concerned about? I can live with it until I need to change airfilter. Then I'll do more serious looking.
I think it may fall out somewhere on the road. But not sure.

Worst thing is I saw the potential for this scenario before I started, thought about covering the opening with tape, but talked myself out of taking the time.

Moral, Listen to that little voice.

Should I be concerned?

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Don't worry is my advice. I've dropped keys down that area and never found them and I know many others who did the same.

·
Premium Member
61,440 Posts
imported post

I lost the plastic cap off the top of the forks that covers the air valve.. It went down there somewhere.. Took off all the plastic on the left side and it has disappear.. I got a new one and I'll be dammed if I didn't drop that one to, same place.. Where ever these things go there's got to be a treasure chest of goodies........

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well a magnet will not help, as the shims are aluminum. Once the outer shelter is off, up next to the ignition, under the main shelter is a small center shelter. There is a ledge right there, that is most likely where it ended up at.

I would not worry about it at all, is not going to hurt anything, I would just order another shim and install them if you wish and worry about finding it next time .

Kit

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
imported post

Your part is probably laying down by the radiator hardware.
I've dropped bolts and such to find them 20 years later when removing rad. No biggie unless you need that part.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

They don't call it the black hole for nuttin'!!!!!!

Mine is littered with plastic rivets and a few other odds and ends.

The downside is the price Ma charges for those rivets.

·
Premium Member
61,440 Posts
imported post

I'm glad I'm not the only one...
It' amazing where it all goes and never to be seen again.........

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Yea those plastic rivets are 3 dollars and up each:p:p Kit

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

One way to try to retrieve "lost" items is to set your air compressor up to 120 psi and blow in the area. Anything not tied down will move. I used to do that quite abit when I was working oncars. There aint much room to get fingers in some places

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You might want to get TWO new shims in case you talk yourself into "lightning doesn't strike twice..."

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Better yet, just call ghost busters. :boo:

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
Better yet, just call ghost busters. :boo:
Pretty good one there ole buddy

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

It's funny how things can disappear in those small spaces. My biggest thing is always dropping a socket. Heck if I know how something that size can be lost on an engine and never be found.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

With the weather getting rainy and Christmas vacation coming, I think I'll change out the head bearings for the tapered ones. This may be the best time to have a good look around inside the Nest.
I can still kick myself for not covering the hole up. It's one thing to have "stuff" happen, but purely stupidity when you spot the potential for problems and don't correct it. I'm glad the spouse wasn't there to here the words I was saying to myself while in complete disbelief of what I had just done.

I know I need a 30mm socket and a bearing tool. I thought of making my own tool from a socket, but don't know the size needed before cutting it up (notching) to fit the castle nut.
Anyone know the size needed.
Thanks

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

My favorite 8mm combination wrenche left my shop in an 1100 Aspy I sold a year or so ago. I dropped it into the top cover and never could find it.:X

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

lostinflorida wrote:
It's funny how things can disappear in those small spaces. My biggest thing is always dropping a socket. Heck if I know how something that size can be lost on an engine and never be found.
I would probably cry if I added how much money I've spent on sockets, short extentions and other small tools that I just gave up looking for. My brother bought a used truck once, pulled the engine and found a Snap-On 1/4 drive ratchet ans socket that was caught in the mount.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I just acquired a new-to-me GL-1200, and upon disassembling a small area to fix a dodgy ignition switch, I found the prior owner's complete set of housekeys!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.