Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, I have lost the keys to my 1500 88.
i havent been able to find an instructable about hotwiring it without a key.
searched the forum...
:nerd:0:)

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
, , , And get an EXTRA key made so you can "HIDE" it on the bike and never get stranded again. There are hundreds of places to put the spare, , , I use the zippered pocket that holds the "seat cover" at the back of the passenger seat, just below the backrest of the passenger. Ah crap, , now you guys know where my spare is hidden, , , which one of you is gonna steal my beast while I'm sleeping?????

Oh well, , all your bikes are newer/better than mine so you're prolly not gonna steal the beast, , , ,

·
Registered
460 Posts
The key code is stamped on the back of all the lock cylinders. A letter then two numbers. The fuel door is a good one to get as you can probably pop the door with a screwdriver with no damage. I wasn't able to find a local locksmith that wasn't a moron, so I ended up ordering new keys from an ebay locksmith, instead. The PO had only one key and it was so worn down there was no point in duplicating it. Getting a new one cut from code was the answer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
hot wire

if you can get the key to the "ON" position then take the rightside cover off, turn ign. key to "ON" use a screw driver to short out the two post on the relay. bike will start

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
found the key! :)
knowing how to hotwire the gl1500 is gonna be useful for next time! :O
had a bunch of extras done, but i am a bit clumsy! :) and left a bunch in california before i took off.
i thought no1 was dumb enough to pillage a goldwing, then methford (medford or) vandalized and stripped my baby. had an extra hidden too but its gone. they stole the key and left the bike.

, , , And get an EXTRA key made so you can "HIDE" it on the bike and never get stranded again. There are hundreds of places to put the spare, , , I use the zippered pocket that holds the "seat cover" at the back of the passenger seat, just below the backrest of the passenger. Ah crap, , now you guys know where my spare is hidden, , , which one of you is gonna steal my beast while I'm sleeping?????

Oh well, , all your bikes are newer/better than mine so you're prolly not gonna steal the beast, , , ,

·
Registered
460 Posts
The tumbler configuration is different on the fuel filler door lock and the fairing compartment door lock compared to the ignition lock.....!!!!!
Very true, but the stamped code number is the same. So you can cut a key from code, but not impression the lock for a key. To impression a key you really need to take the whole bike so the key can be checked in each lock and tuned up a bit as needed. I had this done many years ago when the keys to my CB750 fell out on the way to work. It took the locksmith less than 2 minutes with a blank and a file to make a new key for the ignition. But it took a little touchup so the key would also work the fork lock and the seat.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Very true, but the stamped code number is the same. So you can cut a key from code, but not impression the lock for a key. To impression a key you really need to take the whole bike so the key can be checked in each lock and tuned up a bit as needed. I had this done many years ago when the keys to my CB750 fell out on the way to work. It took the locksmith less than 2 minutes with a blank and a file to make a new key for the ignition. But it took a little touchup so the key would also work the fork lock and the seat.

Only if the fuel door and the fairing door locks are original..........!

Mine have been changed, I could not get an ignition key cut from the code numbers.......:grin3:

Do we know if his locks have been changed....?? I don't know.....!!

I have heard Honda has sold a few of those locks....!!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts