Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Honda Guru
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I logged in and noticed that 3 personal messages had disappeared. I can’t say which ones but 3 are missing-gone. Is there a time limit?

·
Administrator
24,861 Posts
No limit I am aware of. I had several saved for years. Have you checked deleted messages? Oops, there is no deleted messages folder.

·
Administrator
58,211 Posts
Today I logged in and noticed that 3 personal messages had disappeared. I can’t say which ones but 3 are missing-gone. Is there a time limit?
I just looked also and wondered if there is an 'Archive' folder, but nope...

I will ask the IT folks where the messages go in the Personal Message area when they "disappear" or get deleted. I can't see a way to retrieve them.

in the past, I have forwarded them to myself again, or did a "highlight, copy text, then paste into a local text editor if I am really concerned about loosing it.

Use the Advanced editor to forward.

·
Administrator
58,211 Posts
I used to just let the messages pile up until the forum software griped that I had too many and it was going to auto-delete them ..... don't recall the method by which it would choose.

as of right now, this is my stats on the PMs.

Inbox contains 738 messages.
You have 2,062 messages stored, of a total 9,999 allowed. (Empty Folder)

on the left side of the PM page, scroll down to EDIT Folders.
have you created some folders there?
I used to have over a dozen folders all named for the person for whom they represented....

later, after they were a few years old, and no activity, I just deleted all of them.

·
Administrator
58,211 Posts
Okay, got a reply from the IT folks:

the sender has no way to clear your inbox:
see if clearing the caches and cookies will bring the PMs back.
Also, it seems like the user only has 250 privates available, only supporting users and admins have a higher limit.
I would double-check to see if the user's inbox is full.
what he meant with "supporting user" is that you have not paid for one of the Premium user levels. the forum is free to use w/o having to pay, you just have fewer features available unless you opt in for a Premium level.

What I have just learned from this scenario is that non-Premium users have a hard limit of 250 Private Messages before the software starts deleting the oldest messages first to keep the amount of messages at the 250 limit.

So, to me, it appears that you had the 3 messages saved for quite a while, and then 249 more have been received and the forum cleared out the old ones, and poof! your messages disappeared.

in future:
I would suggest that you copy the text of anything that you would to Archive forever, and save it locally as a text file.

·
Administrator
24,861 Posts
Okay, got a reply from the IT folks:

what he meant with "supporting user" is that you have not paid for one of the Premium user levels. the forum is free to use w/o having to pay, you just have fewer features available unless you opt in for a Premium level.

Why is he not a premium member, he has been a member since 2006.

·
Administrator
58,211 Posts
Why is he not a premium member, he has been a member since 2006.
that was before the forum was sold, that error has been fixed.

and his bio states that he should know our bikes :grin3:

I worked at Honda dealers for 30 years, one my own shop and retired

1 - 9 of 9 Posts