Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was able to turn around at the next exit and go back for it! A few miner scratches and the chrome kick plate came off but in surprisingly good shape for hitting the pavement at 70 miles an hour! One of the tabs that that goes in the rubber gromit to hold the panel on got broke off! Has any tried that plastic weld stuff to put a tab back on with? Or is their another fix for this?

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

There is no known good way to do it. I lost mine on the way home from buying the bike, and unfortunately a car ran over it before I could get to it. I almost cried when I found out what a good used one cost on eBay.

I would try either JB Weld, or some type of epoxy. While the panel is most likely ABS plastic DO NOT use ABS "glue" on it. ABS "glue" is actually a solvent that melts ABS plastic, and is used for joining ABS pipe. It will melt the peg, and make it too short. If you use epoxy, mix some up, and pour a little puddle of it where the peg was. Stick the peg down in it, and let it harden (about 15 minutes) Once hardened, you can keep using more to build up around it to make it stronger. The trick is to get it lined up perfectly. Those pegs have to be a perfect fit in the grommet, and if even a 1/16" of an inch off, will not fit properly. And once you have epoxied it in place, there is no moving it. I have seen people use a heat gun to soften the plastic, and bend it slightly, but the risk of breaking it is high.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

Get a set of Rudy's keepers to keep from loosing the covers.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

awingandaprayer wrote:
I agree. Or make your own, that's what I did.

"White helmets save lives" I totally agree. I have 3 solid white ful face helmets. No more black or multicolored helmets for me. Visibility is where it's at.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

awingandaprayer wrote:
I'm going to look at them!

Where can I get a tab at also? I forgot to mention I couldn't find the one that got broke off!

·
Premium Member
503 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.