Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99 1500 A. SE?

I re torqued the steering head bearings, and changed the spacers in my forks. Now no blinkers. 4 ways work. Reverse light would not come on, now it does.... Horn works, H/L beam works, Radio works. I checked all fuses with a test light both sides.
I found the flashers. I switched them, still have 4 ways, still no blinkers. I cleaned the switch. I took it off and looked inside. Its purdy. Is the green wire ground? My test light says so.

Help please
David

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,762 Posts
On the 12s there's a plug inside the steering head...
I suspect, from your symptoms, it's the same on the 15s.

·
Registered
108 Posts
99 1500 A. SE?

I re torqued the steering head bearings, and changed the spacers in my forks. Now no blinkers. 4 ways work. Reverse light would not come on, now it does.... Horn works, H/L beam works, Radio works. I checked all fuses with a test light both sides.
I found the flashers. I switched them, still have 4 ways, still no blinkers. I cleaned the switch. I took it off and looked inside. Its purdy. Is the green wire ground? My test light says so.

Help please
David
Yes, green is ground. It must be from having the handlebars loose, so check those wire harnesses for stretching out at the various connectors. Wires are now brittle, so it could be anywhere in those wire harnesses. Please let us know what you find.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a plug inside the steering stem. I think I have left it unplugged before. I think* its to cancel the signal lights.

It is NOT plugged in now. Could this be it?

I am thinking I streatched a wire.

David

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Making pizza, will do it after dinner. That thing is annoying.

I will report back.

David

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have to do it my self. I am a 60 year old mechanic.
I also ride a BMW. If I had them service it, I could not afford to own it.

This 1500 was bought used with 44,009 miles. I have been through all the brakes, and front end. I still need to check the swing arm bearings and drive spline. Then I can ride it with total confidence.
We already took it to Boston, a 450 mile ride each way.
David

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
I have to do it my self. I am a 60 year old mechanic.
I also ride a BMW. If I had them service it, I could not afford to own it.

This 1500 was bought used with 44,009 miles. I have been through all the brakes, and front end. I still need to check the swing arm bearings and drive spline. Then I can ride it with total confidence.
We already took it to Boston, a 450 mile ride each way.
David
With that low of mileage, there should be no need to check the "swing arm bearings".

Drive shaft splines, yes, I would check them.

I put 222,902 miles on a 1999 Gold Wing SE. Maintained it myself and never an issue with swing arm bearings.

I would recommend you check the drive shaft boot. There were known issues with the boots "splitting/cracking".

There was a reason why and it was corrected by Honda when customers returned with the issue....!!!

I sorta know the '99 Wing inside out with tons of procedures and info on my computer.......

You might want to check the charging system (if not already done).

Does it have the OEM alternator....??? Its easy to identify....!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was a bear the first time. I had no idea how it was in there. I tried taking it out the bottom. Now I stick a 3/32 rod in the back and shove it together. A flashlight helps, so does leaving the blinker on so I know when it’s home.

Thanks for all the help. This is the friendliest forum I have been on.
I hope I can help others.
We are on it today for a ride this morning. It automatically stops at dunkin.
David and Laurie

·
Administrator
26,567 Posts
Been a while but IIRC you pull it out the bottom and slip some extra wire through the top grommet.

Reactions: GLblinded
1 - 15 of 15 Posts