Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Lost my Cruise Control, Won't set. 88 1500
It worked until I broke it LOL ( joke from and old movie)

Not sure where to look, vacuum, electrical, mechanical?

When my Throttle cable broke I took off the inner fairings, top fake tank, air box, and cable from carbs, as well as the grip opened for throttle.

Well, my broke cable only went into a little box inside left inner fairing on frame that also works another cable, for cruise I think.

When I got it all back together and took her for a ride first 2 nights the cruise worked fine!

NOW, when turning on key both lights light up for a few seconds, Cruise On and Cruise set.
When riding I can turn Cruise On and light works, I get nothing when I press the set button though. No light and no speed control, so it does not seem to be setting anything.

I checked quick and brake lights are not on, levers fully released.

Any thoughts what to check first and where?
All was always fine before I worked on cable and 2 short rides after

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
imported post

The most common thing is one of the handlebar switches is not making contact. Have you tried pushing out on the levers while setting the cruise?

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Not sure, I think I have, and pulled up brake pedal with toes also when it first did not work.
I'll try pushing levers out when I ride tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
imported post

G'day Chromo, the most common fault with thisare the micro switches on the clutch and brake levers. Try pulling on the levers and listen for the switches to click. 2 distinct audible clicks should be heard from eack lever, go slowly. The motor doesn't need to be running to hear these. After market levers or time are the major contributors to the fault.

Good luck ;)

Phil

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Try checking the brass bushing on the clutch handle. If it is worn flat on one side, cruise will not set every time. Brake handle has one also.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks, I'll check those.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Nope, it don't seem to be in the levers or brake switches.

Since I was working on it day before cruise quit working, it probably has to do with something I did.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.