Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a pain to watch her go. The lights were deeming and after a few hour there she was dead in top of a tall tree.

For Christmas my wife bought me an inexpensive drone. It took me a short while to learn how to fly it. A pure joy. At night i flew it at high speeds and very low altitude just over our heads. Beautiful blinking lights. The battery charge was short, about 10 minutes and I was charging it while watching the video taken.
In the first day I got it stuck in a tree and I freed it with a long aluminum flag pole.
I got more and more confident at flying and enjoyed every minute of it. Then I tried to impress my wife and I took it up high over the house and around it.
The wind was a bit too strong and I had it flying at low speed ( it had 3 speed blade rotation) it start drifting a bit too close to a tall tree. I should have engaged the high speed but I panicked. It went in the tallest branch and it got stuck in neighbors tree. Thru the evening it blinked steadily as in "help me".
In the AM it was totally dead. I felt as I lost a friend. If it was my tree I would have climbed up or cut a branch. This was a inexpensive drone ($40.00) and there was not any way to rescue it that made financial sense.I watched a few you tube videos and they show how to rescue it but I cannot be in my neighbors yard all day long..
After two days of mourning and my wifes approval I start looking for a new drone. This time I went for a more expensive one with substantially longer flying times ,more capabilities and features. It has a RTH (return to home ) in case it loses signal. It will return where it was launched from. Also it streams live video to my phone.
I will fly it in a more open area with no trees or tall obstacles. I hope to not repeat the previous experience.
I alway wanted to be an amateur pilot but life got in the way. Now in someway I have a chance.
I will post a few video and pics here after Im comfortable in flying it

·
Administrator
58,486 Posts
I too am a geek for such things, I have bought two of the older ones like you just described, played with them once or twice, and then sent them to my son.... who also, being a geek, played with them once or twice, and there they sit, on the top shelf.

·
Administrator
58,486 Posts
Peter,
I have a whole forest of tall trees on the south side of the house, that is verboten to fly back there. I went out front where we have about 2 acres of clear grass that we keep mowed nice and trim. Had to pick my time of day, too windy here in OkieLand most of the time.

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The new drone arrived the very next day. Talk about fast service.

I had to put it on the shelf for the next two weeks as we departed for Mahahual, a small village in the middle of nowhere sandwiched between Caribbean Sea and the jungle.

Upon return it was the very first thing on my mind. It is not as pretty as the first one but much bulkier and larger. It can fly for 30 or so min on a single battery. I have two.
it has a good camera 2.9K 2976X1680P ( I have no idea what the numbers mean) It remotely tilts from straight down to almost horizontal position.
The thing is amazing and has incredible lifting power. Once i grabbed it and tried to force it down and almost I couldn't do it.
It has :return to home, follow me, hand gesture recognition, follow another person and more abilities.
It brought the kid back in me. If you dont touch the controls it hovers where I left it as has a GPS receiver

I played for a few days and Im getting better and better at handling it

I have watched a few drone to drone rescues and I think Im ready for attempting to bring home the old one. Its been there for three weeks and not sure it will work.

I have safety in mind to make sure I will not lose this one too.
I will attach the line to the drone with scotch tape at center of gravity point. I will practice to see at what weight this will come lose . I will tape more or less of the line to the drone till I feel confident that in case the line gets stuck the drone is able to pull free.
I 'll make the hook out of flimsy aluminum wire to make sure it straightens out in case of to much force.
I asked the neighbors permission and the plan is to go next Monday when the weather service says the wind is at lowest.
I will post a video of my labor.
Wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A succes story. I made a large hook using a piece of 12/2 romex wire and used 12-14 ft of masonry line which I attached to the big drone with scotch tape as as a safety break away. I lost about 2 hooks then i hooked up the drone and took it down.
After more than 2 weeks in the tree my friend is down and works perfect

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
25,045 Posts
You have almost convinced me I need one.

·
Administrator
25,045 Posts

·
Administrator
25,045 Posts
And the batteries take a long time to recharge.

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congrats to a fellow pilot ( sort of)
Im having incredibile fun with it.
In a few occasion I flew it so far away to an island i couldnt even see with my binoculars.
Then i went filming alligators.
Here is my wife and I at a house we are building. Watch it till it lands
I have to batteries and they say it flies 30 min each.
I love this thing

Watch "3215 Pine Tree Dr." on YouTube

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
25,045 Posts
Yours obviously cost way more than mine. Something I didn't see in the description is the operator has to be behind the drone for the controller to communicate. I can send it out and back but can't turn it around to come back. Found that out the hard way.

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You sure? I think all turn around when you push left lever left or right. Remember the drone has a head and tail under normal condition So if it faces you and you push forward it will come to you, There is a headless operation but you dont need that till youre familiar with all other operations

·
Administrator
25,045 Posts
I think you mistakenly put it in headless mode
No, I found in the instructions "the operator and the tail of the drone must be aligned in all flight modes".

·
Administrator
25,045 Posts
how in the hell can that be possible, and still have it come back to you?
oh, you are supposed to make it "back up" and stay in alignment.

what a crock
Trust me, it won't get a good review on Amazon.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts