Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
something's wrong in there. Even the $40.00 drone turns.left,right moves forward,backwards and sideways up to 400 ft. In fact it is just as much fun to operate as the more expensive one.....prettier too.

·
Registered
109 Posts
One of my birthday or Christmas presents this year from me to me will be a drone. Several that I've looked at for under $500 will run 30 minutes on a charge and has at least a 1200 foot range. I'll be using it to scout our property for deer as their favorite bedding ground is our field of prairie grasses which can reach 6-7 feet tall. Then I'll bother the neighbor's cats n dogs with it LOL. I'll also be able to bring the chickens into the coop with it too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
25,020 Posts
something's wrong in there. Even the $40.00 drone turns.left,right moves forward,backwards and sideways up to 400 ft. In fact it is just as much fun to operate as the more expensive one.....prettier too.
It does turn left and right, forward, backward and sideways, it just will not turn to face the operator. I guided it past me on my right and at about 3 o'clock I lost control of it when the tail was out of line of sight of the controller. Fortunately it was close to the ground and going up the hill so it went to the ground and stopped.

·
Administrator
25,020 Posts
It's all irrelevant now, it's up in a tree. Peter, how about a rescue? I could cut the tree down but it would probably damage the drone, then I would still be without a drone and have to cut the tree up into fire wood.

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
LOL, Now its the time to buy a better one and rescue the first. There are some methods in youtube, 3ft PVC pipe with rubber using an arrow like a sling shot. You use a fishing reel and launch the arrow across the tree.
I hope you can rescue it ( my problem was the tree was not in my yard)
Show us a pic if you have time

·
Administrator
25,020 Posts
No, I think I had my fun with drones already. I knew it would happen at some point. I foolishly sent up way high and the wind was too strong to keep it out of danger. It's probably 75' high so I don't know if a picture would show it clearly. I can barely pick it out and I know where it is.
drone in tree.jpg

·
Administrator
25,020 Posts
That's it. I may have a plan. I have some really long bamboo, 20' or so. Maybe I can put some of them together and coax it out.

·
Administrator
58,445 Posts
I've read that you're good at shooting. Maybe it would be possible to shoot the branch holding the drone in pieces?
But will the drone survive a fall from 23 feet?
the area that Dave lives in, is too densely populated to even think about shooting a weapon up into the air, and not know where it might come down and puncture someone's skull.

·
Administrator
25,020 Posts
I've read that you're good at shooting. Maybe it would be possible to shoot the branch holding the drone in pieces?
But will the drone survive a fall from 23 feet?
If I shot the branch it is sitting on it would fall to another and so on for quite a while, it's way more than 23 feet even if I got it to the lowest branch. The picture is zoomed in all the way.

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Most likely the drone will survive the fall. And they probably gave you a few spare blades. Here is another method of a possible rescue: Get a fishing pole with just a weight on the line, Cast the line on the branch holding the drone wherever that branch is about 4"or so thick. Get a chainsaw blade with rope on both ends long enough to reach the ground. Pull the chain in place with the fishing line and cut the branch by alternatively pulling on the ropes.
I have cut quite a few high branches on my live oak tree.
They sell this setup in ebay/amazon
The cons; the chain will cost 25% of the dron's value
Pros: if you wont rescue it you will be looking up that tree for the rest of your life.
Alternatively for about $150 you could buy a GPS enabled drone which will hold position for a posibile rescue
Dont hate me if youll have two in the tree

·
Administrator
25,020 Posts
I doubt I could cast a fishing line that high with enough accuracy to get it over the right branch. I have plenty of chainsaw chains so that's not a concern. I tried making a bamboo pole, lashed 2 together and it's about 35' long and reaches about 1/2 way, had a hard time getting it upright, no way I could do it with enough reach. It's in the very top of the tree on the right.

Attachments

·
Administrator
25,020 Posts
Got the drone back unharmed and about a winter's worth of firewood.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Happy to hear! Congrats. One important button to learn is the emergency stop.. Every drone has it. When you think youre about to lose control press the button and it will come down like a dead duck. Otherwise you'll soon have firewood for life LOL. Take a few video and let us see your neighborhood.

·
Administrator
22,065 Posts
If wind put it in the tree, it seems like there would eventually be a wind strong enough to blow it back out of the tree.

The point is, of course, mute, now that the tree is kindling.

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,043 Posts
You are on a slippery slope. Here is a little DIY racing drone. I out it together last winter. The front camera is for FPV flying. There is a second 1080 recording camera on top. My wife got me one of these for xmas: Pixhawk4 mini. I have the motors and speed controllers to build a 800mm hexacopter with 15 inch rotors and gyro stabilized GoPro. Next I want this frame kit: Tarot T810 CF Folding Hexacopter. I have been flying RC off and on for the last 40 years.

I hope to combine my hobbies of motorcycling, photography and drone flying by riding out to some of the scenic area around the state and capture video footage. Not like there is enough of that around YouTube.

A tip to keep orientation, when the drone is flying towards you, turn your back to it and watch it over your shoulder. That will keep the left and right going the correct direction.

·
Administrator
58,445 Posts
A tip to keep orientation, when the drone is flying towards you, turn your back to it and watch it over your shoulder. That will keep the left and right going the correct direction.
I have never understood, why no one ever used a simple toggle switch for "Away" and " To me"
that would allow the pilot to always have the RC go left, when he moves the controls to the Left.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts