Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Administrator
24,994 Posts
. Take a few video and let us see your neighborhood.
I'm never going to get it up that high again unless the wind is dead calm. Would have to be at least 200' up before you could see any of my neighbors.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I have never understood, why no one ever used a simple toggle switch for "Away" and " To me"
that would allow the pilot to always have the RC go left, when he moves the controls to the Left.
They have that under headless flying You can spin the drone around on the center vertical axle any way you want then pushing the right lever forward will move the drone away from you, pull the lever back the drone comes to you left will move to the left and right to the right regardless what direction it is facing,. BUT you have to remain in that position. or otherwise the commands would be wrong.If you turn your back to it the commands would be totally reversed.

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,043 Posts
They have that under headless flying You can spin the drone around on the center vertical axle any way you want then pushing the right lever forward will move the drone away from you, pull the lever back the drone comes to you left will move to the left and right to the right regardless what direction it is facing,. BUT you have to remain in that position. or otherwise the commands would be wrong.If you turn your back to it the commands would be totally reversed.
Drones are really hard to maintain orientation. They are small and hard to see. I wound up putting bright LED lights on the front of mine so I could maintain orientation. That helped some. They are actually easier to fly with first person view. A video camera in the front with video goggles is the way drone racers do it. I have a 8" video screen that is mounted on a camera tripod. I will see if I can find some of the footage and post it.

·
Administrator
24,994 Posts
Drones are really hard to maintain orientation. They are small and hard to see. I wound up putting bright LED lights on the front of mine so I could maintain orientation. That helped some. They are actually easier to fly with first person view.
Ain't that the truth. I was going to try to use mine to view targets at 100 yards but lost sight of it before it got there & just used the stop button to land it and had to go find it. Mine has LED lights on the front but you can't look at the front and maintain control.

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,043 Posts
I put this video together from footage I shot a couple of years ago. It starts with the very first flight. It was very jumpy. About three minutes into the video the flights get better. I started working on my GL1100 last winter and didn't do anything with the drones. The bike is more fun.

·
1,648 Posts
I put this video together from footage I shot a couple of years ago. It starts with the very first flight. It was very jumpy. About three minutes into the video the flights get better. I started working on my GL1100 last winter and didn't do anything with the drones. The bike is more fun.

Good video . Fun to see where you live and your neighborhood , nice ! And i love your brown car ( Ive just bougth me one of those , - there was a sale on the last ones of the "old" model , LOL ) .

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,043 Posts
what was on the tripod? a GPS localizer?
John, that is the video receiver - screen. This drone is made for racing. I will never be good enough to race. The next one I'm working on has four separate radios: one for the control (ground to air), one for the video down link (air to ground), one for telemetry and changing flight settings in flight (2-way) and a GPS receiver. The controller contains a CPU, 6-way accelerometer, 6-way gyro, barometer for altitude hold and the necessary IO ports. All this fits on a 30x30mm circuit board and costs around $40. Of course the remainder of the components are needed. There is software that needs to be loaded and configured. It is a challenging hobby.

I like your neighborhood but the drone seems rudimentary. It looks like you have all sorts of gravity forces around your house. The new drones are way more fun and easier to fly
THX Peter, DIY drones need to be adjusted to fly smoothly. I made the adjustments between the flights. It got smoother toward the end of the video. It will never fly as smooth as a GPS stabilized drone. This drone is intended to fly around like a radio controlled airplane using the video down link to control flight.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts