Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working on my gl1800 today. Had to take the seat off. When I took it off the right side panel just fell off. Turns out the four rubber grommets that hold the panel were gone and it was being held in by the bottom edge of the saddle. Fortunately I had a set in my toolbox. I have heard of loosing one but not all four. I am glad I wasn't riding on the highway and had the panel blow off.

·
Mile high on a Gold Wing
41 Posts
I just did mine last weak. Once they break down they seem to go at once. I got an extra set so if I need them like you did I would have them.

·
Registered
936 Posts
How many years do they last? I just bought the bike one year ago and replaced all of them. To this day, all my panels are held so well, a fellow rider broke my stud because he wasn't use to a panel held so well. With only three studs holding that panel, it does well but I have to fix it before I do have a loss.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
With only 3 studs holding it on I think its time to order Rudy's Keepers before you lose one and regret it.

·
Administrator
27,930 Posts
You need to lube them a little with WD40 or petroleum jelly when putting the panel on to keep from pushing them out the back to never be seen again.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have the kit and need to install those too. So far no issue and the repair will be soon. Wondering how long grommets last thou. Time will tell or do people have a time frame they go by?

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Here's link to Rudy's store, you can get them from Cyclemax also.
Rudy has his store showing closed for summer at this time?

http://rudysproducts.com/index_store.html

He makes the kits for all the Goldwings.
Great products and a great person too!

With the cost of just 1 lost part, side cover, pocket door, or those pop on fender covers on a 1500, getting a full kit is a great idea! Heck just having to buy a new pocket door is $50 or more if you lose one! They seem to get lost by people allot too!

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
youngnbald

Just to answer your question for how long the grommets last. I guess it might make a difference on the climate you live in or something. Noticeably deteriorated on my 78.
I just replaced replaced them this year on my 78-750 , but they needed new ones probably 10yrs ago. The new ones HAD to have vaseline put on them because they were so dry and tight there was no way to get the side panels back on. They are very very snug now and I have to be very careful not to break the old brittle side covers.

I am 99.9% pretty sure the grommets have never been changed on my 88 that i bought almost 8yrs ago and they fit really well yet with no worry about losing a cover.. I do put vaseline on them and i think it makes them swell a little.
I have a new set here for the side covers and have to decide if and when to use them. Duh, kind of silly to have the new ones sitting here and not putting them on. lol

Probably the ones i should have gotten were the grommets for the little covers on the front fender. They fit okay yet but I didn't like the looks of them when i put the Bridgestone on the front this year. A little more road grime and such hits them and would deteriorate them sooner. Thanks for reminding to look at them again and order some. Wind definitely hits them more and better safe than sorry.

I am not saying NOT to replace yours yet, but they have lasted a long time on my bikes.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
To prevent grommets from being pushed out when replacing a panel, spit, though a bit crude works well in a pinch to lube the pins. It will help the pin get through the grommet with less pressure and then dry out which makes the pin hold better. I normally use a bit of water, it works as well as a dab of oil but doesn't stay on the rubber like oil will.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.