Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
youngnbald

Just to answer your question for how long the grommets last. I guess it might make a difference on the climate you live in or something. Noticeably deteriorated on my 78.
I just replaced replaced them this year on my 78-750 , but they needed new ones probably 10yrs ago. The new ones HAD to have vaseline put on them because they were so dry and tight there was no way to get the side panels back on. They are very very snug now and I have to be very careful not to break the old brittle side covers.

I am 99.9% pretty sure the grommets have never been changed on my 88 that i bought almost 8yrs ago and they fit really well yet with no worry about losing a cover.. I do put vaseline on them and i think it makes them swell a little.
I have a new set here for the side covers and have to decide if and when to use them. Duh, kind of silly to have the new ones sitting here and not putting them on. lol

Probably the ones i should have gotten were the grommets for the little covers on the front fender. They fit okay yet but I didn't like the looks of them when i put the Bridgestone on the front this year. A little more road grime and such hits them and would deteriorate them sooner. Thanks for reminding to look at them again and order some. Wind definitely hits them more and better safe than sorry.

I am not saying NOT to replace yours yet, but they have lasted a long time on my bikes.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.