Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I may have lost my only key to my 1984 Wing. Can I get a replacement from Honda? Can a locksmith help me?

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

you have to get the number off your ignition, Honda can key it from that or I do believe Ive heard of people taking in one of there saddle bag locks to, But for sure they can key from ignition... YOU JUST NEED THE NUMBER.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

The number is stamped on the ignition switch, but you have to remove the ignition to see it.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

Similar thing happened to me. I got the numbers off of the lock for the gas cover on the false tank. This one is best since you can take the false tank off the bike toget the lock open.I can't remember if I had to take the lockout of the cover or not. It's a lot easier than taking out the ignition.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
imported post

Sweet Cheeks wrote:
I may have lost my only key to my 1984 Wing. Can I get a replacement from Honda? Can a locksmith help me?
This will not help now but for the future you should hide a spare key somewhere on your bike. I have been doing this on all my vehicles for many many years.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
imported post

Ugh. I went through this and Honda said all they couldd do is replace the ignition switch. Anyway, I was able to get a key from the PO who had lost the 2nd key but then found it. I had 5 made and have one in my wallet, one on the bike, one at my parents house, one in the garage and one in the house! Good luck.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Might also be worth a look under the left fairing pocket. A number of people have found that a spare key for the bike was in there possibly from the factory or the dealer. One of my 1200's had a pouch in there like others had described, stuck to the side, inside that pocket hole, but it had fuses in it so the PO had likely removed the key that was originally there.

Other than that, some locksmiths have the ability to make factory keys as well, from the number. I had one made for my 86 Aspy because the keys I had were so badly worn, I didn't want replacements made from them. You will likely have to prove ownership to get them made though.

John

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
imported post

I had a spare key made at a lock shop. It took several trips back to the grinder for fine tuning, but it works in all locks. Cost was $1.89

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

When my friend andI travel, we exchange spare keys. So if one of us were to lose a key.... well, you get it.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Dam
I bought a 1500 2 weeks ago and yes only got 0ne key. No I havent lost it but I need to gety to the locksmith and get some copies made before it decides to take a walk.
I had a key cut for my 1100 as i purchased it without a key. Pulled the false tank and toke the lock down to the locksmith and 20 dollars later had a cpl keys.
They never asked me for any papers but i'm a regular there throw work
Wilf

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

Here is how it goes. If you have only one key you will loose it. If you have spares you'll never loose one again....At least that's how it works for me.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

jdvorchak wrote:
Here is how it goes. If you have only one key you will loose it. If you have spares you'll never loose one again....At least that's how it works for me.
....and that is worth every penny.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Funny stuff snowman..I also keep 5 Keys for all of my vehicles. Once you have to have someone open your car for 60 to one hundred bucks you will find buying those extra sets makes lots of sense.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
imported post

Sweet Cheeks wrote:
Ha, found my key. Huge relief! I'll be getting copies made now for sure. Thanks for the advice.
Great! Have fun riding it now.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
imported post

I had to come back to this to see how you came out. Too many will not let us all know the results of their efforts.

Wonderful that you found your key.

Nowa, ago ride it like you stole it and the key.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.