Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting attempt some weeks ago. 7-8 months since last start. Battery has ben on battery trender, and in god order. Immediately there was a loud bang, and all electrics went dead.
Before pushing the starter button all the normal light were on. Afterwards nothing.

I was not prepareres for this, but my impression is that the sound came from the right hand side, near the battery. But can of course not be sure of this.

Checked all fuses on the left side of the bike. All OK, but to be sure I had them all out and used contact cleaner. Found a dogbone fuse near battery terminal . Also OK.
Still dead electrics. Battery OK. When I turn the key on, I can‘t notice anything happening.
But when I turn key off, I can hear a slight sound of something going on with the cassette player.

Any ideas?

regards TorT

·
Premium Member
6,614 Posts
Check the battery voltage with the key on. What do you have? I bet the battery exploded. If it turns out the battery did explode be sure to wash the entire adjacent area off with clear water to get rid of any acid residue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check the battery voltage with the key on. What do you have? I bet the battery exploded.
That is the same sound and symptom I experienced with a new (1 month old) battery. I pushed the start button and heard a very loud SNAP that came from the battery side of the bike. Then nothing worked. Bottom line was a shorted cell in the new battery. Cycle Parts West gave me grief about it saying the battery only had a 30 day warranty, but after calling the manufacturer they exchanged it for a new one.
Anyway, take the battery to a shop and have them put a load on it to test it. Also, I have heard of battery tenders slowly destroying batteries but some riders still swear by them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked battery again, and it still measured 12,3 V about 3 weeks after it happened.
But when I turned the key on, voltage dropped to less than 1 V.

So you are right about battery.

THANKS. 👍

TorT

·
Registered
503 Posts
"Battery tender" is a term that's about as standard as "Chicken tender". The only brand I recommend for long-term use is Deltran, and I have about 10 of their "Battery Tender Jr." models that I've kept on every kind of equipment for years with no ill effects.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,651 Posts
Anyway, take the battery to a shop and have them put a load on it to test it. Also, I have heard of battery tenders slowly destroying batteries but some riders still swear by them.
Name Branded Battery Tenders will Extend the life of any battery.

cheapo crap "tenders" are usually just crap, slow current chargers, and they will eventually kill a battery.
I have never experienced a problem with any of my Battery Tenders, I have 3 different brands, all highly respected Name Brands,
  • Battery Tender, 3 of these
  • Schumaker, 1 of these
  • NAPA, 1 of these
  • an old garage type charger with Auto Monitoring, it is 15 years old, it monitors the voltage and has a Voltmeter on it... when it reaches about 13.8 volts, it turns OFF..... when the battery drops to 11.8 it turns back ON. it is currently in use on my RV 1000 CCA Deep Cycle battery. working like a charm.
not one of them has ever over charged a battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts