Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I have a Honda Valkyrie 1800, 2014 with a mileage of 4000 km.
This is my first Goldwing why the gearbox is so loud. Shifting from 1-2 or 2-3 gears is like pounding.
Is it normal.
On a cold engine it is ok, but when the oil warms up, the gearbox is loud.
I use AMS MCT 10W30 engine oil.
Thank you and best regards

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,823 Posts
a lot of folks have had good results by switching over to Rotella T6 in 5w40,
seems to make the tranny shifts smoother.

it did for me, and several of my friends.

·
Premium Member
6,720 Posts
Hello
I have a Honda Valkyrie 1800, 2014 with a mileage of 4000 km.
This is my first Goldwing why the gearbox is so loud. Shifting from 1-2 or 2-3 gears is like pounding.
Is it normal.
On a cold engine it is ok, but when the oil warms up, the gearbox is loud.
I use AMS MCT 10W30 engine oil.
Thank you and best regards
They tend to engage with a pretty good clunk. Not as bad as my old Harley but it is a pretty good noise. It is not a synchronized transmission like a car would be. There are 2 gears spinning at different speeds. You are pulling it out of one gear and engaging the other gear that is spinning at a different speed. Just kind of jamming them together.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
First to second sounds like someone is in there with a hammer and punch driving it into second gear,what did help mine was the shifter assist,http://www.gl1500auxiliaryshifterpivot.com/.I don’t know if the Valkyrie would be a cannadate for that though,It supports the shifter way out on the end,seems like if you kinda lazy shift it’s better,kinda pull it into neutral and then second but otherwise it’s just something you get used to.

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
519 Posts
If you pull the clutch all the way in, and then shift into the next gear, it will clunk hard.

If you pull the clutch in most of the way while at the same time you're shifting into the next gear firmly, it will be smooth.

I can't explain it any better than that.

·
Registered
242 Posts
We used to call them a crash box transmission. Timing RPMs to the shift helps. Shift quickly, blip the throttle on downshifts.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
This guy pretty much nailed it.

If you pull the clutch all the way in, and then shift into the next gear, it will clunk hard.

If you pull the clutch in most of the way while at the same time you're shifting into the next gear firmly, it will be smooth.

I can't explain it any better than that.
A CLUNK is OK. It goes into gear. A grind is bad.

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts