Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

This is my first Goldwing ( new 2008 w/ABS ) and have been riding Harleys for the last 37 years.

I just returned from a fantastic 4 day road trip ( the Okanagan thru the Kootneys to Nelson, BC. down to Spokane ( Hwy 31 & 20 ) and up via 395 back home to Vernon, BC.

The wing performed flawless however I've noticed that the lifters are becoming increasingly noisy as the miles progress. This is more noticeable at in town speeds between 20-40 miles per hour. I have approx 5,240 miles on her with two oil changes with the first service done at 4,000 miles ( 6,500 kms ).

My question ... is this normal for a 2008 Goldwing ??

I do know that the solid lifters have to be done around 20,000 miles or so.

·
Administrator
27,933 Posts
imported post

The valve adjustment is not due until 32,000 miles. Usually they tighten up rather than get loose. Run it by the dealer and let them listen to it.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

What oil are you useing? I agree with seeing the dealer & starting a paper trail on this noise. It could be the start of a warranty issue!

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

My 2005 has about 32,000 miles and there is a slight lifter noise on the right side. I plan to have it checked out before heading out on a 6,000 mile road trip next month.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Using Pro HP4 10W40 w/o Moly.

A call to the dealer is on my next to do list this morning.

Thanks ....

By the way, this is the " Greatest " Goldwing Forum on the net. Most of the time I can find the answers to my concerns just by viewing the threads.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Just a quick update from my visit to the dealer this morning and the response from the mechanic. The noise is coming from one lifter on each side of the engine which is the norm. I got a pretty intense Honda Engine lesson about cylinder heads, cams, lobes, fuel injection, lifters and the cylinder head cover not being too sound proof on two of the lifters ( one each side ). This may cause an inherent echo and/or ticking sound emanating from the engine which should be of no concern. This is more noticeable at lower speeds and RPM's.

I've been told not to worry and keep on riding ... just change the oil and service the Wing per Honda's schedule and all will be fine.

Doesn't get any better than that ... just got to stop the wife from falling a sleep on the back.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

I think what your hearing is the fuel injectors.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

We verified the noise from two specific points. One from the front valve on the left side and the rear valve on right side.

Fuel injectors are a possibility. Either way Hatchetman is correct, the paper trail has begun.

So far I trust my assigned Honda Mechanic... it's not like the HD service rhetoric, you needed a set of hip waiters to trudge your way through it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.