Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Kazi
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok I have to do something i want to make my wing loud. I am tired of quiet pipe. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make my pipes louder. I would like a nice rumble without over kill.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

A lot of guys use Harley take-offs on the 4 cylinder wings. Sportster mufflers seem to be the favorite. You might need a transition pipe made (to go between the header and the muffler) to keep the mufflers straight and level.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

put holes in it lol J/K

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

You do know when you make a wing loud it sounds like a rice racer with fart cans? :)

If you need something loud buy you a Harley or 1100/600 Shadow, but keep the wing for when you want to do any traveling. Listening to loud pipes for too long can get real old in hurry.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

Sawzall and a bi-metal blade .... 14-18 teeth per inch should do nicely.

·
Kazi
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Yeah thats what I dont want is a a rice burner. Hmmm well guess I may have to get another VT1100C

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

kazi, that looks like a sei in yoiur avatar, if it is then i wouldnt mess with the exhaust in case i screws up the injection

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

On the first cobbling of 2 bikes into1 in 2002, neither set of pipes where of any use, ebay was in it's infancy, so was this siteand my local salvage yard had nothing. So I lashed out $400 on a set of down turn pipes from the Dennis Kirk catalog, no carb' work required!They were louder and more rumblier than standard but I was OK with that.

It wasn't until years later when most of the chrome fell offand they rusted outthat Igot a good standard set from ebay for $120, then I realized what I'd been paying for all that rumbling, I immediately got an instant huge increase in horsepower, all I'm saying is, be careful what you ask for.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

if there is a diverter wall in them you can bang thru a 3/8 to 1/2" rod for starters

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
imported post

I have louder pipes on my 1100 and I love them. They don't even resemble a rice burner and they are not loud enough to be annoying at all. I rode it almost 400 miles yesterday at 75 and I didn't even notice the sound. The problem is that the bike came with the pipes and I don't know anything about them at all.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

Ive got Sportster mufflers on my naked 82 and boy is it loud i love it . I'm just doing the exhaust on my 83 dressed using the mufflers off of one of the touring Harley's from the header back to the muffler will need about a foot long pipe to join them . My 83 is loud already after all it does have a 28 year old exhaust on it .

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
imported post

I took off the "expansion chamber" and got some 22 degree angle X 1 1/2" exhaust pipe from NAPA, welded them together (2 for each side), connecting the header directly to the stock exhaust. It made a nice rumble, a bit louder, but not too loud that the misses would complain. Its loud enough to be able to hear what the engine is doing but not irritating.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
imported post

I drilled the end of the pipes with long 1/2 in drills, sounds much better.

·
Kazi
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks for the tips guys I will waive all options and see what i decide to do. Going to a swap meet onSunday suppose to be 3 miles of vendors selling used parts. I am sure 95% will be Harley stuff. Hope i can pick up some HD slip ons and start there. Also going to pick up some mirrors as i dont have the right one and a semi tire exlploded next to me the other day and broke my left glass thank GOd i was able to save some of it to be able to see still.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

kazis86wing wrote:
Thanks for the tips guys I will waive all options and see what i decide to do. Going to a swap meet on Saturday suppose to be 3 miles of vendors selling used parts. I am sure 95% will be Harley stuff. Hope i can pick up some HD slip ons and start there. Also going to pick up some mirrors as i dont have the right one and a semi tire exlploded next to me the other day and broke my left glass thank GOd i was able to save some of it to be able to see still.
Where's the swap meet Kaz. I have some Harley Buddies that would definately be interested. Also-I may have either spare mirror or both...

·
Kazi
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I doneed both mirrors name your price may swing by to get them this weekend. It is at the Fair Grounds in woodstock all day sunday.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

kazis86wing wrote:
I doneed both mirrors name your price may swing by to get them this weekend. It is at the Fair Grounds in woodstock all day sunday.
Thanks Kaz-I'll have a look and pm you, maybe see you there but which day is it? You mention Sat in one post and Sunday in your last...

·
Kazi
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

It is Sunday for sure. That would be cool to meet someone from the forum. By the way I work in Downers Grove I think Glenn Elynn is close if you did indeed have mirrors.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

kazis86wing wrote:
It is Sunday for sure. That would be cool to meet someone from the forum. By the way I work in Downers Grove I think Glenn Elynn is close if you did indeed have mirrors.
Yes downers is nearby-just checked got a full left side and a right that's broke at the swivel but the glass, aluminum back etc and rubber is fine...Are u at work now-PM me a phone number if you want em today

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.