Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still getting a loud ticking noise occasionally on the left side of the engine. Sometimes It will go 2-3 days with no noise, then make the noise. It gets faster as the RPMs go up.Sometimes it will just stop making the noise while I'm riding. What drives me crazy is except for the noise, the bike runs perfectly, no miss, no hesitation. Could it be a lifter? Does the 1200 have valve lifters? Will it damage the engine to keep riding it with the noise? Every time I want to take it to the shop to have the mechanic hear it it does not make the noise. (1200 Aspencade 84)

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Yes, the 1200s have hydraulic lifters and it sounds like one or more of yours wants to stick now and then. I had it on my 1200 when I got it. Went away after I ran about half a can of Seafoam in the crankcase for about 150 miles and then changed the oil.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Yes, the 1200s have hydraulic lifters and it sounds like one or more of yours wants to stick now and then. I had it on my 1200 when I got it. Went away after I ran about half a can of Seafoam in the crankcase for about 150 miles and then changed the oil.

I couldn't think of a better reason for Seafoam in the crankcase.

Scott

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Marvel mistory oil works wonders too. Thats what cured mine !

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Black and gummy lifters caused by.......

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Black and gummy lifters caused by.......

Alec, I'll take ring blow-by for $500....

It's crankcase sludge (carbon & oil) that plugs those suckers up. The relief hole on those is incredibly small, like smaller than a hair. Gotta clean that crankcase. When I did the Seafoam treatment, and yes there are plenty of other products that do a good job of cleaning a crankcase, I took a sample of the oil before I added it and then after about 150 miles, right before I drained the oil and put fresh oil in and the difference was real clear. The pre-treatment oil was clear amber colored; the post-treatment oil was black as pitch and noticeably thicker. That was accumulated crap in the crankcase that the treatment dissolved. Ever since, I do exactly the same treatment on both my running Wings before an oil change, and the difference between the before and after samples is getting less and less, which mean the crankcase is pretty clean and ring blow-by is pretty much normal.

Not bad for a 30-year old motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Last week I did the seafoam treatment. The ticking noise is still there, but not as pronounced. Looks like I will be repeating it soon.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Last week I did the seafoam treatment. The ticking noise is still there, but not as pronounced. Looks like I will be repeating it soon.

Curious, what oil have you been using?

Scott

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
I bought the bike 3 1/2 years ago. Its been doing it at least since then. I have used Amsoil since my first oil change in it. Although, with this cleaning I put in Rotella. I'll be doing it again soon or next spring. Kinda depends how much riding I do from here out.

They are both of "the slick kind".

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
4 oz only, no need to drain any oil.

run it 100+ miles and drain.
more miles does not hurt, just helps it to dissolve the crud better.
just don't allow the oil to stay in the crankcase once treated, drain it out hot.

more treatments just makes the crankcase cleaner, it never hurts....
some of us will treat the oil before every change, I do it once a year.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With the seafoam, does the 100 miles have to be all one trip , or can it be over several days? I do not really have the time for a 100 mile ride with work and kids.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
It's no problem to do it over several days or longer. According to the Seafoam can you can put it in AFTER an oil change and leave it in there until the next oil change. I just can't stand the though of all that dissolved running around my engine, so I just change the oil after running it for a while.

Nothing magical about running it 100-200 miles, either. But it's tough to pull your dipstick and find black, thicker oil and not want to change it!:wink2:

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
Well, when I was in Phoenix and worked for the Fire Department and had just bought a 'new to me' 94SE which had gunked up carbs really bad..

How bad? well, it would surge from 750 rpm to 3,000 rpm back and forth for as long as you wanted to watch it.

I rode the bike daily to work/back. I poured in 4 oz to the oil, and just rode it for one week, drained that out, did a repeat and ran it for two weeks and drained that out...

did it one more time and left it in for two more weeks and also a run up to Payson, AZ and back in the intervening weekend. so, 40 miles X 5 = 200 and Payson round trip was about 300 miles....

the old girl never complained, and the next oil changes had a very clean look at the normal drain times.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

now for the carbs..... 1st time I poured a full can into 3 gallons of fuel and ran that out, 2nd time a full can to 6 gallons of fuel and repeated that for a month.

The 2nd month I dropped it back to about 2 oz per gallon, the 3rd month I ran at 1 oz per gallon of fuel and kept it at that rate until the carbs cleaned up and the surging finally stopped.

how long did that take?
About 6 to 8, I don't remember anymore.
But, I did NOT have to take the carbs off the bike, and for me, that is a Win Win all the way around.

If you are a Grasshopper and can't stand to ride a misbehaving bike, then pull the carbs, do a very thorough cleaning including the idle circuits and put it back together.

Me? I'm lazy and do it the easy way, the result was the same.

On the very first application of full can to 3 gallons of fuel, I let the bike idle for over an hour, then shut it off and let it soak over night.

I did that every night for the first week. then I just rode it like a bat out of hell, once over 2,000 rpm the engine ran just fine.... it just didn't like to idle.... but, after about 6 months or more, all was well.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Havent been able to get online for a while, but I did the seafoam treatment and no more ticking , Thanks to all who responded

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
When my 85 LTD 1200 was new it developed a ticking noise and it had a plugged up oil hole in the left side,took some time to locate it and clear it out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.