Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was working outside the new house installing metal hurricane shutters (corrugated sheet metal panels)
It was raining on and off with dark clouds around.
A few rumbles now and then.
I was outside drilling the holes for the track when KABOOM.
The sound was so powerful it almost brought me to my knees.
I was not scared at all but I mostly felt the shock wave of the sound

The house I build is a few hundred yards from the old house. My wife was at home. She was concerned that the lighting might have hit me since i was working with metal, while I was looking at the old house to see if any of the toll trees towering our house was hit.

The neighbor across the street told me to look towards the back of my new house where smoke was coming out.
It turned out that a transformer that was less than 100ft from my location was hit.
The next transformer on the same line was damaged.

We lost power and I went to get my Honda generator to continue the work.
The Florida Power and Light was on the scene in the next hour and both transformers were changed in the next couple of hours

·
Administrator
25,762 Posts
I have witnessed transformers exploding, it is loud.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,279 Posts
a few years back, Lightning struck the power transformer that feeds our house, and burned off the top of the power pole.... the main line transformer that feeds our little transformer was damaged also.... we are 350 feet off the country road, so they brought us in a separate line just for our house.

cost them 2 transformers in one boom.
I can't remember how loud that noise was, been too long ago.
just remember that KaBoom! and the house went dark.

·
Magic Moderator
4,528 Posts
I remember that sound well, having lived in Florida it was common occurrence to have a transformer struck by lightening. When the storms would come through I was always waiting for the lights to go out and they usually did.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Besides the noise today I noticed that 4 outside LED lights are not working. Only those were lit during my outside work. Had to buy 4 new ones which set me back about $170.

While I was changing the lights the Spectrum cable guy told me they had to temporary lay a cable above ground because the old one got fried

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think I'd have to agree. Lightning struck a transformer about 50 yards from my house, sounded like a bomb going off. I almost fell out of bed. Was bad enough to pop most of the breakers in my panel. Thankfully the power was fixed quickly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts