Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 93 1500 and the right low beam keeps burning out. Third time replacing it. It will burn for a few weeks then burn out. Any Ideas????????

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
imported post

If you handled the bulb glass with your bare fingers when fitting it, that would shorten its life.
Or if the bulb connector is a bit loose, that can blow the bulb.
Another thing to check is the alternators output. If it is overcharging, that will blow bulbs.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hi Wof49,

Could you have a bad socket that plugs into the light?

Can you see the filament in the light broken? Have you tested the light out of the bike?

Tim.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
imported post

I am in the habit of wiping new bulbs with a clean cloth and alcohol just to be sure no hands have gotton oil on them.
Otherwise, make sure the socket is snug when mounted/installed. A loose socket will vibrate a lot and shake a hot filament to death.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

I had this EXACT same problem... and eventually traced it to the bulbs I was buying. Evidently not all bulbs are created equal. The fine member here atht put me on the righteous path was...

sandiegobrass... send him a PM and he'll set you straight as to what sort of bulb to buy.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Also, (as I found out recently) the reflector in the headlamp assembly can come loose fromt he coarse elevation adjuster, which leaves the right side of the reflector quite loose.

If you can grab the reflector dish on the right side (like where you'd mount your bulb) and move it inward and outward by hand, then you could have a broken assembly. Realistically, both reflector dishes should feel equally "stiff" (resisting your hand pressure)

Not to worry, a good bulb will last longer than a poorer quality bulb (the corner-store Sylvania H4 were lasting me about 5k miles in the right side when I had my issue). I dodn't step-up to try the motorcycle bulbs which should'a lasted much longer.

For reference, what broke in my headlamp assy, and in two of the other's that I've since inspected, is the follower tab for the factory coarse elevation adjustment. This little tab connects the center of the bottom of the reflector to the coarse elevation lead-screw (the lead-screw I'm refering to is the "goo-covered" screw on the bottom center of the fron of the headlamp assembly, adjacent to the litle rubber teet-style plug there). You should be able to remove that little rubber plug and stare into the headlamp assy as you push on the right side of the reflector and see if the reflector is attached to the lead-screw or if there's a little busted tab o'plastic...

I changed my headlamp assy to remedy this (NOT a cost-effective solution at all, butI was tired of messing with it) . Prior to the change, I had been going through 3 or 4 low-beams on the right side annually (more bulbs if I bought white-box off-brands)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.