Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

While riding on Friday we noticed that I had lost both low beams and both driving lights. I've checked the fuse and it is fine.

Any ideas? As you know, I am new to the 1800 so I have no idea where to start other than the fuse. Can't be bulbs - all four at once seems that would be unusual.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

There are two fuses to check, #14 and #27, you should also check the headlight lo relay.

As you have fog lights you should also check the fog light relay, this can be accessed by removing the left switch panel, the one with the foglight switch on it, you may need to remove the left fairing pocket as well.

I don't know about the headlight lo relay, but I have a jumper which can go in place of the foglight relay so they can only operate with the switch.

Two other things which can affect the lo beams are a faulty starter/reverse switch and a faulty reverse regulator assembly (diode D21).

Obviously I am parroting from the service manual, I have no idea where this diode is but I am working on it!

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

I looked in to diode D21, and the highest number diode listed for the rev reg assy is D16, so this obviously needs further research.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

So - If I pop out tomorrow on the bike can ya give me some assistance John? PLEASE - PRETTY PLEASE :(

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

Silly as it sounds, it is common on the 1800for more than one bulb to blow simultaneously. Had it happen to me, spent ages looking for a problem, then tried replacing the bulbs and no problem since.

Always try the easiest solution first. :)

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

As both low beams and fog lights are out, I am betting on the relay. Pull it and switch it with the high beam one see if that works........cannot remember, think it is a 4 pin relay , Anyway you can switch relays around and see if that is really the problem.

Kit

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Kit - can you point me at the location of the relay in question?

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Update - amazingly :doh:, apparently I had inadvertently turned off the driving light switch about the time my lows went down. Driving lights are working now - just the lows are out.

My suspicion now is bulbs - one probably burned out and the other couldn't take the additional load and blew shortly after. They are Sylvania Silverstars so they burn a little hotter than stock.

I'll take a look at the bulbs this pm. and keep y'all posted.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Both bulbs toast - changed out with English Bob's help (he took his top cover off so I could see what needed to be done as I changed them blindly from underneath :)).

Problem solved for a mere $70 - Sylvania SilverStars.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

miles.from.nowhere wrote:
Kit - can you point me at the location of the relay in question?
Sorry to be late, been out gallavantin around and for a very nice ride. But seems the situation is in hand. But just in case you ever need to know the relay panel is under the seat of the bike. You have to take the 4 seat bolts out of the passenger grips and push the seat back and up. The low beam relay is located in the second row of relays and it is number one in the second row. You can to test things switch any relay with the same part number with any other relay to check to see if that is really the probem or not.

Kit

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks Kit! John (English Bob) actually had his seat and top cover all off his bike when I got over there today so he gave me a tour of all the intricacies of the guts of this wonderful machine. I got a good ejecation today - thanks EB :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

miles.from.nowhere wrote:
Thanks Kit! John (English Bob) actually had his seat and top cover all off his bike when I got over there today so he gave me a tour of all the intricacies of the guts of this wonderful machine. I got a good ejecation today - thanks EB :cool:
You're welcome mate, I got the machine all back together and the top speed button installed, unfortunately didn't get to ride down the road and check out the Speedohealer. Too busy minding the crumb snatchers.

Thanks to whoever came up with the term crumb snatchers, I like that:cheeky1:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.