Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Is it possible to install a low fuel warning system in a 1995 wing. I have the GLl1500A model. It doesn't have a low fuel warning system. I have a dash plate with the fuel emblem on it so I was thinking I could rig up a low fuel set up. What triggers the low fuel system ? Is it off the the fuel sender? Is there a different sender for this set up than mine? I would appreciate some feed-back. thanks Jim

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,505 Posts
imported post

?? I thought all 1500s had the low fuel level warning light at approximately 1 gallon remaining?

Even at that though, I always reset my trip meter and mentally note "How far to Empty". I don't trust sensors to keep me from walking.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

What is a low fuel warning system? Did you mean a low fuel level warning system?

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
?? I thought all 1500s had the low fuel level warning light at approximately 1 gallon remaining?

Even at that though, I always reset my trip meter and mentally note "How far to Empty". I don't trust sensors to keep me from walking.
Gota agree with you there John. I did let mine go down till the light came on just to see if it worked.

To answer your question, I think it works off the guage sensor. Probably kicks on at a preset voltage output from the sensor. That's my guess but not 100% sure.

You could make one pretty easy.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,505 Posts
imported post

A single op-amp with a voltage divider on one input. A 10k resistor from the fuel level sensor to the other input.

Tie the output to an LED thru a resistor that will limit the current to about 10 mA. Value would depend on what your source voltage would be. I would think 5 V would be adequate.

When the voltage drops down towards the set point voltage, the LED will start flickering. When it goes solid ON, then you know you are definitely into the reserve level that you set.

This method would allow you to set the warning point anywhere you want.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I NEVER let my bike, or any other vehicle get below 1/4 tank.

I let2 trucks & a bike run out of gas in the last 10 years & had to replace the carbs or FI on all of them.

Now, I'm too paranoid to let my fuel get low. :shock:

·
Administrator
27,781 Posts
imported post

I haven't ran out of gas since 1974 and then it was a car I just bought that had a big dent in the tank. Fill it at 1/4 tank.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

That happens when you dont let the bottom stuff flow, it builds deposits and then those plug the fuel system if you usually let those deposits to flow, it will very light stuff that wont harm anything.

Popeye wrote:
I NEVER let my bike, or any other vehicle get below 1/4 tank.

I let2 trucks & a bike run out of gas in the last 10 years & had to replace the carbs or FI on all of them.

Now, I'm too paranoid to let my fuel get low. :shock:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

To answer the question...

The low fuel warning light is sensed by a thermal sensor. It measures a different temperature when submerged than it does when out of the fuel as it drops in the tank.

Don't know the whole circuit but it seems to me that it would need at least one transistor to have the current to drive the dash light.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

JimArmstrong1 wrote:
Is it possible to install a low fuel warning system in a 1995 wing. I have the GLl1500A model. It doesn't have a low fuel warning system. I have a dash plate with the fuel emblem on it so I was thinking I could rig up a low fuel set up. What triggers the low fuel system ? Is it off the the fuel sender? Is there a different sender for this set up than mine? I would appreciate some feed-back. thanks Jim
Have you tried letting the fuel run low to see if your dash pump emblem lights up? It will go way below the gauge empty mark before it lights up. I would get some gas and carry with me and let it run until the fuel light comes on or you run out of gas. Then you will know if it works.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I did exactly what L2W talked about. I carried a 1 gallon gas can in my saddlebag and purposely drove to a meeting early enough, with the intent of running out of gas. I ran out right beside a gas station, so I didnt have to use my can. But, there is no light on a 91 Interstate, just in case anyone is interested.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

I have a 1990 and although the light comes on when I turn the ignition on it goes out soon after. I had got advice here last year about replacement of the low fuel sensor I have as yet not fitted one. I just try to keep it above the empty line. Is it possible that your bulb may have blown?

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Wingle wrote:
I have a 1990 and although the light comes on when I turn the ignition on it goes out soon after. I had got advice here last year about replacement of the low fuel sensor I have as yet not fitted one. I just try to keep it above the empty line. Is it possible that your bulb may have blown?
IRIC, the 91 was the first year for the Interstate and was really stripped of features, hence the Aspy's and SE's. I have the anniversary model, if that makes any difference. I have a spot on the dash where I assumed a low fuel light would be, but its just a black area. The Goldwing History page here, has a lot of good info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.