Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had read several threads about this and knew it was going to be a tough job, so I put it off. A friend has a Dremmel tool and that seemed to be everybodies tool of choice for cutting the housing open to remove the old thermister and put the new one in. So I went to his house this afternoon and we looked closely at the unit.

No cutting was necessary, we unsoldered the wire so we could take the can off thelevel sendingunit and then unsoldered the negative end of the thermister from the can so we could open it. Then, by lightly tapping the ceramic plug in the top of the can, it came out without damage, bringing what was left of the old thermister with it.

A quick splice with the new thermister and we put the can back together, soldered the negative terminal and re-attached the can to the rest of the unit.

I installed it, and it works.

Job Done!

Then I thought...I should have taken pictures.

Anyway, if your low fuel warning light doesn't work. PM me and I can walk you through this one. It's easy.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

Um, Dennis.....that was too easy.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Where did you buy the new thermister? Is it attached to the float unit in the tank?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thermisters are available on line. Shop around. I've also seen a link here for them. They're cheap though.

On the GL12 they are attached to the float/sending unit. On the GL15 I think they are attached to the fuel pump.

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Do you find with the repair that the fuel light is brighter when there is a low fuel situation, Then it was with the stock sensor? My fuel light is much brighter with the start up bulb check then it gets with low fuel, even after I replaced the sensor with a Honda one. Much better then it was but still not as bright as the check bulb.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I don't know if it's any brighter than before. On the 12 there's not an option to replace the sensor. You have to replace the thermistor inside the sensor can. If the thermistor is a different value, the light may be slightly dimmer or brighter than before.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

There's really not much to post. Unless you have the unit in front of you I don't think it will make any more sense than the first post does.. Maybe I can try some of my sketching skills.:gunhead:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

oops sorry guys double clicked

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

You should just do it all over again and take pictures :) pics,pics,pics. you know we gotta have um. ;)

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

scotterichmond wrote:
You should just do it all over again and take pictures :) pics,pics,pics. you know we gotta have um.

Problem is, you don't know it's going to be easy until you're done. We kept expecting it to all go to crap, but it never did.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
scotterichmond wrote:
You should just do it all over again and take pictures :) pics,pics,pics. you know we gotta have um.

Problem is, you don't know it's going to be easy until you're done. We kept expecting it to all go to crap, but it never did.
And I thought I was the only one that did that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.