Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 93 1500 w/54,000 miles started missing ( sounds like its running on less than 6 cylinders) at low RPM. Put in new plugs and fuel cleaner but still missing. Has origional plug wires. Runs great at RPM above 1800 RPM. What should I look for?

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum getyrzs.
My 1800 too experiences this low load, low rpm miss all spring and summer. With more load and or more rpm it goes away. I pulled the plugs and all were good.

After applications of fuel additives to aimed at ethanol issues, it has almost completely gone away. Sure would like the motor king to read on this.

·
Administrator
26,168 Posts
imported post

Probably clogged low speed jet, try a tank of gas with a can of seafoam.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Does the miss happen only when just starting ordoes it continue after long warm up?

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I have run two cans of Sea Foam with little improvement. When starting from a stop, I increase the choke slightly. This keeps her from, stalling until I get to 1800 RPM. I am still suspecting plug wires. They are the origional. Am I on the right track?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,581 Posts
imported post

Wiring problems usually show up at higher rpm. I would look into the vacuum system. If all is good there, then go deeper into the carbs.

If still no joy, give the bike to me and I'll endure the frustration for you.

·
Administrator
26,168 Posts
imported post

getyrzs wrote:
I have run two cans of Sea Foam with little improvement. When starting from a stop, I increase the choke slightly. This keeps her from, stalling until I get to 1800 RPM. I am still suspecting plug wires. They are the origional. Am I on the right track?
An ignition miss will show itself under load, usually fine at low speed. You may have a vacuum leak i.e. a cracked or broken vacuum hose.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

There was a thread a month ago on a cracked, molded vac hose you can see under the rubber flap on the left side. I'm on my phone doing this so I can't find it and paste for you.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks everyone. We have eliminated plug wires and sub air filter. Now its down to loose or broken vacuum hose or dirty carbs, but I have run two cans of Sea Foam with high test gas and it sees somewhat better, but still missing on low RPM and stalls from a a get go. Increasing choke increases low RPM and allows me to get off the line, but still runs rough at low idle. Any other thoughts before tearing down the carbs?

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

getyrzs before tearing down the carbs: check your vacuum lines, if nothing check all plugs and regap them at minimum gap but still within spec and test run the bike.

While plugs are out clean then, decoke them, reset them and check your plug wires for holes, hard insulation, then wipe then down with a clean dry cloth looking for residue on the cloth, if any the wires may be breaking down.

This may save you the carb cleaning process.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

More info;

You said it started to do this, when? Was it one morning when you fired it up? was it after you filled the tank up? was it in the middle of a ride? How long have you had the bike?

You said after the seafoam it seems to be getting better, how much better? If you can do it, next fill up maybe try some TC-W3 to lubricate whatever is in the carbs that need lubricating. There's a long thread on the stuff. If you just bought the bike and it sat awhile the carbs may be sticking.

Tearing down your carbs at this point seems pretty extreme when according to what you wrote that it was running good then just started to miss. You said you thought it was a plug, when you changed them, were any fouled out?

Check the vacuum lines. Change the fuel filter, I doubt that, but since you like to change parts, it can't hurt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.