Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I found two failed spark wires connected to the coil today; they were corroded and barely connected- on top of all the other issues I was having with the stalling, no response to throttle at idle, etc.

So I replaced all 4 wires now it runs and idles/ revssmooth, but accelleration is very slow, it backfires all the way while I'm accellerating and top speed is only about 55mph after about a quarter mile.

I'm very new to the GL 1000. Could I have put the wires back wrong? or could it be running too rich? Help me I'm a newbie, plus I'm supposed to leave on a trip tomorrow morning that may not happen now unless it's a quick fix.

Thanks!

Blessings,

Moose

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

Sounds like it could be running rich.

One coil runs the fronts, the other runs both rears: EZ

Too many questions to ask here. Carb.s rebuilt? Sync.ed? Could be bad needle valve(s).

Running it this way could cause major engine damage.

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

From the picture, it looks like a '78. Do you still have the original point system, or has it been retro-fitted to electronic. Poor timing/dwell (worn point lobes, burned points, bad condensers) couldplay a major part in poor driveability.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

Did you replace the spark plug boots? They have resistors in them and that is a corrosion spot too. If you didn't replace the boots then take a look in the spark plug socket. There is a slot for a screwdriver in there. Unscrew it and pull the resistor. If it's corroded you can clean it up and substitute a piece of a nail or something (for the resistor) until you can get new booties.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
imported post

Start by looking at the plugs, they are your best diagnostic tool. They can tell you whether a cylinder is running rich or lean. They will also tell you if you have ignition problems and if so in which cylinders.
Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.