Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

im a little stumped on this one. 82 gl1100 45k miles . the bike sat in a shop for a year before the owner brought it over to me. they rebuilt the carbs and put new resistor end on the wires. Ends are honda and do have a resistor in them.the . problem is sooting up plugs and low vacuum. This is what i did. Went back thru the carbs and fixed a few items. Ive done about 8 sets with good outcomes but that doesnt mean anything right now.The floats seat and set to 15.5mm and it does not flood. It starts ez. and sounds good When I start it with fresh plugs with my morgan tune synch gauge hooked upit shows vacuum on all 4 fairly even . It idles OK . After it is warmed up to do the synch it is down on the morgantune where I cant read vacuum but still running. I can get a vacuum reading if i take it up to about 2500 rpm when warm.I checked the valves and adjusted a couple that were too tight. I pulled the belt covers and the marks line up. Ive done leak test on the manifolds and carb topsIf I pull the plug wires back just a tad when warm it speeds up. Im thinking coils or maybe a partially blocked muffler. or the jets have been opened. the plugs are sooty but not wetand it has fresh fuel and doesnt smoke from oil. After running for a while and goose it it will put out just a tad of black for a second. no air filter is on it.Any ideas ?. Thanks JB

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
imported post

I have seen similar on different bikes. Have you checked the timing? Retarded timing could account for low vacuum and sooty plugs. I can not say why but some are more forgiving of timing and some are very touchy. If it were me I would miss on the advanced side. Also check the advance mechanism. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
imported post

Is choke cable OK? Make sure choke plungers go in completely on each carb. I had bad cable and pushed plungers in by pliers. It is OK now unless I try to use choke again...:(

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

newbiker wrote:
Is choke cable OK? Make sure choke plungers go in completely on each carb. I had bad cable and pushed plungers in by pliers. It is OK now unless I try to use choke again...:(
all the cables are disconnected at this time and all chokes are wide open. I took the exhaust off to see if there was any hidden washers. I couldnt see any in the headpipes. Ill do a search tomorrow on how to check the coils. Thanks JB

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

a little better luck today. I hooked up a light spring to keep the throttle plates closed as I dont have the cables hooked up. That helped as far as getting a vacuum reading. Also I cut back the wires at 1 and 2 coil . Now both coils show 29 ohms at their respective plug ends. I thought I had this fairly well bench synched. what normally takes about 20 minutes took over an hour to get the synch close. I dont know if they dipped these carbs in carb cleaner and wiped out the felts or what but I havenever seen thesynch screws and linkage as sensitive as these.Ill get some new plugs and hook up the cables and see what doesnt happen. JB

·
Administrator
26,988 Posts
imported post

You think maybe someone put some larger idle jets in it or punched them out a little?

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

that has crossed my mind Dave. I didnt have another one to compare it to without pulling a rack off one of my other running bikes.I wish i had a new one. The screwdriver slot was buggered up but i couldnt tell as far as the hole diameter being enlarged. . . I Think the needle and seat has been changed. I did finda old one laying around that probably came from a 1100. it had 1.8 on it and the ones in this carb im working on had a flow rating of 2.0. but that shouldnt make any differance.If it runs too rich ill have to get some new ones and compare. JB

·
Administrator
26,988 Posts
imported post

Right, the needle seat wouldn't matter. If you had wire gauges small enough you could check the jets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.