Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I'm working my way thru recommended things to check that may be causing lowand inconsistent voltage readings. Typical sysmptoms go somthing like this-on a recent 250 mile ride down the interstate, in the first 125 miles the voltage reading fluctuated between 11.2 and 11.5. After stopping for gas and back up to speed, the reading held at 13.2 to 13.5 and never dropped. However,sometimes the readings will start in the 13's and drop slowly (15 minutes) into the 11's. On the 250 mile ride back, readings never got above 11.5. Battery is staying charged-voltage check between the batt terminals w/ engine off always reads in mid to high 12's.

I've put at least 2,000 miles on the bike since I've noticed these sysmptoms with no other problems, but I fear there is a lurking problem that will eventually bite me.

So far:

Alternator/stator checks ok

30 amp fuse checks ok

Ground wire from battery checks ok

3 yellow wire connector from alternator was eliminated years ago

Other connectors that posts recommend checking, check out ok

From other posts, it seems like the regulator/rectifier could be the cause. How do I go abouttesting it?

Thanks for a warm welcome to his new member-this site and the folks on it are great!

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Wire a temporary voltage monitor directly to your battery. You can buy a cheap multi meter & lengthen the wires so it will mount on your dash & reach the battery. If this shows a different or better voltage, than your on board guage is going silly!

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Check voltage at the battery with the bike running. My on-board volt meter does not read the same thing as my digital multi meter at the battery. I did cut out the connector at the reg/rec and got more consistent readings at the on-board meter.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

hatchetman wrote:
Wire a temporary voltage monitor directly to your battery. You can buy a cheap multi meter & lengthen the wires so it will mount on your dash & reach the battery. If this shows a different or better voltage, than your on board guage is going silly!

ditto.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
imported post

I have a 86 SEi and was having similar problems. After extensive searching it was found to be the radio noise filter which plugged directly at the voltage reg. After unplugging both ends of this filter, then connecting harness back together..VOI LA. My local bike/ alternator shop found the problem. I will try to enclose a pic of this filter..Good Luck Brother.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thanks for all the suggestions. Since I didn't get any info on how to check the regulator/rectifier, and it sounded like a prime suspect, I sprung for the $114 and got one from Dennis Kirk. The voltage reading is now back up in the 14's where it used to be. Maybe I'll take it on my work trip from Denver to Albuquerque this week after all.

Out of curiosity, did Honda ever do anything about the stator problem in terms of warranty coverage or a recall?

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

Fred the regulator from Dennis Kirk, is it a Honda regulator or a universal/generic reg?

Thanks

( Is it a real poncho or a Sears poncho?)

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

On the box it came in, it said Rick's Motorsport Electircs, Inc. Made in USA, so it's not a Honda product. There are two part numbers on the box; 21120006 and 20-0922. I thik the latter is a Dennis Kirk number, but not sure. The metal portion of it (the heat disapating fins) are slightly larger than the stock part but it fit just fine. The two connectors match the stock part exactly, so it was a simple plug-in install. I may do the direct wiring thing later, but the connectors were in such good shape with no signs of overheating that I just used the connectors (for now).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.