Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to remove the cover right above the kick stand for the winter to prime and paint. I have the bolts all out what's the trick to get it out from behind.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
More info needed Bill to help you. Year, model, goldwing? Only one that had stews in side covers are the 1000, is that what you have? There are tabs (and rubber grommets in the frame)behind the goldwing plastic side covers to keep them in place. There is usually a spot to get your fingers under/behind to pull outward gently and once started work around. 3 tabs on 1000 and 1100.

Let us know what you are talking about and a reply when you get it off.
The more information you give the better we can try and help you along.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
So is that the ones covering the exhaust manifolds? You need to be a bit more clear in your description. I'm not giving you a hard time, just trying to get a clear description. Otherwise have to assume.....which ain't good idea. If those are the covers you asked about, try painted metal below fuse panel side cover.OK?
They have washers that hold the covers incase the nuts fall off. You have to carefully pry outward underneath near the studs. I use a small Stanley prybar. Don't lose the washers in a dirty floor.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry kinda new to this. I can get the bolts and nuts off and pryed over the studs. But can not seem to remove the cover because of the kick stand in the way. Is there a trick on how to get it out of there.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
Okay now we know what you are talking about. I remember other members asking the same question. That cover is a very tight squeeze and will probably get scratched. Removing the lower frame member that the side stand mounts to gives more room.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After looking at it some more I figured that's what it would take. Any thing else I need to know before removing the lower frame member to make clearance? A nother Question is it cheaper to buy these peices or have them painted. Just thought I would ask?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.