1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello to all Gold Wing Riders !
I need your help again.
I had problems with my forks and I replaced seals,sliders and all the inside bits that could cause a leak.My tubes were a bit pitted,I had them check for straightness and re chromed.The job was done by an old German friend of mine,who is a perfectionist ! By the way,if interested I will post you pictures of old BMW s he rebuilds.So,I have no doubt about the quality of his work !
When I told him that they are leaking,he said that the only thing he can think of is that the aluminium ( bottom )parts are worn inside !
Can it be? If so,can they be machined and re sleeved ?
Can there be any other cause we overlooked ?
Where can I get a good second hand set ? In South Africa GL 1200 was never on the market so I will not find here.
Any suggestions ?
Regards,
Lucian

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
imported post

It would seems to me that the only part on the inside of the lower slider that can go bad would be the bushing, and it's replacable. If it's worn, than it will allow enough "wiggle" room for a seal leak.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,791 Posts
imported post

Lucian: What are you using for fork oil and what weight is it? If you are using ATF There is no way to know the weight. I replaced my fork seals twice and still had a leak. Decided to replace the ATFwith Honda 10 weight fork oil. The leaks stopped and haven't leaked since. Seems the lighter the weight the more possibility of the seals to leak. You might try this before buying more parts. Good luck, Tom

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

We replaced bushings too.When I say aluminium bottom part,I refer to the casing,the part where the wheel is mounted,I think they call it lower slide ?

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

A couple more things come to mind...just trying to help so don't 'shoot the messenger', OK? ;)

1. The rebuilt tube's diameter ended up smaller than OEM...

2. The seals aren't correct diameter, either the O.D. or the I.D.

3.The seal bores are damaged (grooved deeply) from trying to remove them incorrectly

4. The seal(s) were installed upside-down, or components assembled in incorrect order

5. Your friend may be correct, as I think he meant the actual bore diameters...if they are worn oversize, the tube-end bushings can 'wobble" down in there, rendering the seals less than effective.

If you suspect the lower stanchions need replacing, you can post your needs here in the 'for sale/wanted forum', or keep searching eBay, maybe... :baffled: :waving:

(an afterthought...the seal bore(s) might be out-of-round if the lowers were ever dropped or in an accident of some kind...)

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

The bushings are there to prevent the lower leg from wearing internally. In effect tit means the lower leg can't wear unless the bushes have dissapeared.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

If the bike sat for a while you may have pitting on the tubes. Rechroming them may have solved any pitting by filling in the holes. The seals will leak on a rough surface, but sounds like you fixed that.Official "fork oil" is a little heavier then auto trans fluid so I would try that if your worried you'll have the same issue.,,

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I find it hard to suspect the lower sliders, super inspect the seal slide area on those tubes. I'd try an oil change using a good FORK oil (15 to 20wt.) and a fresh set of OEM Honda seals. I've had the "as good as" seals leak on a few other bikes. And a PS, don't over fill the forks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.