Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
89 GL1500
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 89 GL1500 I am customizing. I would like to lower the gear ratio to a more sporty configuration. Is this being done? I see people wanting to raise their ratios, what would be the best way to cause more rpm's per mph? Do you know of a listing of GL final ratios? I appreciate any help as this ifomation is not easy to get. What would you do? ,Mike

· Registered
41 Posts
I have an 89 GL1500 I am customizing. I would like to lower the gear ratio to a more sporty configuration. Is this being done? I see people wanting to raise their ratios, what would be the best way to cause more rpm's per mph? Do you know of a listing of GL final ratios? I appreciate any help as this ifomation is not easy to get. What would you do? ,Mike
The most efficient (and cost effective) way to lower the final drive ratio is to change the rear tire size to a smaller diameter. There are several size options available although overall width may be an issue?

· Premium Member
784 Posts
A lower 1st gear would be useless. It is a stump puller now and hits red line pretty quickly.
A 4 degree trigger wheel might give you a little more that you might or might not notice. You would also have to use 89 octane like I did when I had my 88 with a 4 degree wheel. I don't know if it helped or not since I didn't have that Wing very long before I had it apart and changed belts and the trigger wheel while I was in there. It might have made it a little snappier.
A 7 degree was available at one time and I would assume would need 93 octane.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts