Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

121 - 140 of 187 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

:applause::applause::applause::applause:Nice catch, glad to hear you'll get some riding in this season.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
imported post

Thursday 02/22/2012

I finally got out to the garage today.

I finished drilling and tapping the frame to bolt the
left rear panel on.

I like the looks of it, I think I will keep it.
I plan on bolting it on with round head Allen bolts.

I built a frame to hold an auxiliary gas tank for starting the other Goldwings.

The frame slips over the handle bars, so it comes on and off in a minute or so.

About a month ago I was searching E-Bay and found 3 old pin wrenches for $10.00.
The seller didn't know what they were for, but the price was cheap, and pin wrenches are hard to find.

I bought them and they sat in the garage because I wasn't feeling that well so I wasn't working.

Today I checked them out and low and behold the first one fit the big bearing nut on the Goldwing steering fork.

The second was close to the top nut on the forks.
A little grinding on the edges and I now have wrenches to use on the steering forks.
What a great buy.

The last thing I did was clean up the shop, I need to make some room for the New Trike when I get it.

I hope to get back to the garage tomorrow, I am keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
imported post

I'm still here, it seems that a day of work in the garage requires a few days of recovery.

I am having trouble with the neuropathy and now my fingers are locking up after working.

I have to talk to the neurologist at the VA to see what's going on.

I will try to get back to work maybe tomorrow or so.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
imported post

I have to say that I have never met a better bunch of guy and
gals as I have here on this site.

Every time I have a question or need help someone is always
there to jump in and fill the space.

The support here is tremendous and continues on each and
every time I or someone else is in need.

Thank you everyone for your support with this and the other
projects I am involved in.

You meet the nicest people on a "Goldwing"

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
imported post

If you would be so kind could you shoot me a copy of your wiring diagram when you finish it? I'm building a bobber that will be a touch like yours. Below is my last one, this time I am doing the neck and tank area like you have and running 5 gallon fatbobs.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
imported post

Cowboy450,

I won't forget you when we get the wiring diagram done.

Talk about overkill, I think I really went overboard on putting in all the extra tubes and gussets.
Did your first one hold up all right without breaking in the middle or cracking?

I am not a technician and I know I am obsessive compulsive, but I really went overboard if your first one held up.

Any flexing of the rear frame? I might cut some stuff out of mine.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Eh, look at it the way I do, anything worth doing is worth over doing.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
imported post

That is a fairly old build and everything held up fine. The tank/neck area was stock and I am going to do this one like yours. You can't see in the picture but there is probably 10 inches between the tanks. Way too wide!! I am going to do the rear pretty much like the old one but slightly larger tubes. I'm with you, you can't have too much strength in a frame. I had a VW trike break in the middle on me once so I am a bit paranoid about that.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
imported post

Cowboy450,

Thanks for the picture and the information.

Do you have any more photos of the bike?

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
imported post

Zimco your doing great work on that bike ,but remeber you only have one life so take care of it,you dont need to finish that bike, ride the trike. is that a smarty hat in your pro pic?

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
imported post

Ridgid11,

I think the hat was a "smarty Hat" at one time, but it has kind of gotten "eaten Away" with use in the garage.
It is like an old shoe, so comfortable I hate to give it up.

I have to go to get my argon tank refilled soon, (Mahany welding in Rochester) and when I do I am going to get the oil changed in the hat too.

Actually I think I will just buy a new one for spring, when you see the new hat you will know I also got my argon tank filled.

I am told I will be able to pick-up my "new" Trike on the 31st of this month, the day after my birthday.

Wow what a great birthday present Betty got me this year, I can't wait.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

Keep up the good work there young fella, always good to check this thread and see how you're doin.... You'll love the 1500.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
imported post

Saturday 03/10/2012

Sorry People, I got side tracked a few days with helping my sister build some shelves.

Note: If you are looking for shelves for the shop or garage don't buy "Edsal" Brand shelves sold through Home Depot, Northern tool or anyone else.

Even though they are made in USA they are junk.
The holes don't line up and the bends are so crooked that some of the bolt holes don't give you room enough to put a nut on the bolt.

She bought 2 sets of shelves and I took the best of the shelves and made one unit out of the two.
Even then we needed 2 people to hold and clamp them with locking pliers to get the bolts through the holes.
Remember that brand "Edsal" pronounced the same as the car.

Then she couldn't find a good bottle cutter to make wind chimes with, so I made her one from scratch, and that took me 4 days.

I got back to the bike yesterday and cut out the panel for the right side of the rear frame section.

Now I have to drill and tap the holes for the mounting of it.

I like the panel on the left side, I think I will paint it satin black like the frame.

I have a few more mounting brackets to put on the frame for the electronics.

I feel pretty good even after the work yesterday so I am going out to the garage again today.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
imported post

Making some progress on mine.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
imported post

Sunday 03/11/2012

I am a little late with this owing to being sick with a stomach bug.

I finished the right panel for the bike Saturday and Sunday drilled and tapped the holes for mounting it.
This panel required a little bending to get it to fit because the frame on the right is angled.

After clamping the panel I used a dead blow hammer and more clamps to get it to match the frame.

I then eyed the saddlebags sitting in the garage and decided to give them a preliminary fitting to see what they would look like.

Now I know the top is not straight on the bag and the bag is sitting about an inch lower in the frame unit, this is just for the idea of using the bags.

There is only one bolt holding them in place and I am going to weld new flat stock to the bag frames for mounting so I think they will be slightly lower and more to the rear.

What do you think, should I keep going with the bags or leave them off?

I kind of like them because I need someplace to carry my jacket and small stuff.

I think I am going to paint the panels satin black the same as the frame.
If I use the bags should I continue the satin black for everything, or paint the bags, fenders, and gas tank something else like an old school dark green.

I was for a while thinking of painting the whole bike, frame and all the blackest green I could find, how about that?

OR - - the frame black/green and the tank, fenders, and bags greenish Yellow.

I am open to all suggestions, what have you got?

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
imported post

I would probably keep the bags, they are just so handy. I vote for black. Looking extremely good buddy.

121 - 140 of 187 Posts