Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hello all, new here just wanted to know if anybody ever lowered their 84 model gold wing? and were can i buy a lowering kit???:baffled:

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

Can't answer your question, I expect someone will be able to.

But welcome to the forum anyway, (aka madhouse, nuthouse)

Suggest you put your location in your profile, you may well have a useful neighbour.:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Worlds Best Goldwing Forum. Remember to take your meds on time and everything will be OK!!:cool:

I haven't done it...but I guess you could just run a couple of pounds of air in the front and rear. Should be low enough:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

thanks for the warm welcome, its not to terribly tall I'm just on the ball of my feet love the bike first one had no idea these bikes ride so well..

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving: Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Site Marky Mark! :waving::waving:

There have been a couple of things done to help get the feet more solidly on the ground. One of our members beachbuddy0253 made up some brackets to lower the rear end of his 1200. You might give him a PM about it.

Click here

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I cut some out of my seat and it helped. They say that the real trick to this is to narrow up the front of the seat slightly, that allows your legs to close up a bit and give you more reach.

That I didn't try, but an inch or inch and a half out did help me.

You didn't say how tall you are. Me I'm only 5'-0" and still enjoy my wing.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

I also took about an inch of foam out of my seat plus a little off the sides to narrow it up. It helped but I'm going to remove some more in the near future.

I'm 5'8"....or used to be.....and I really would like to have my feet planted on the ground....just like on my V Star.

·
Registered
267 Posts
imported post

Hmmmmm thats a good idea about lowering the wing on the rear but can you cut the springs in the forks to lower the front too ? If you slide the forks in the triple tree that will make it difficult in handling:baffled: . i need some input please. I would like to lower my 82 wing for the wife can ride it

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I can't see why you couldn't slide the fork tubes up a little bit on the 1100 since there's no air hole in them. I don't know if I'd go more than 1/2" or so at least for the first shot at it. Perhaps another 1/2" up would work okay but I'd take it in 1/2" increments to be sure. That would seem preferable to cutting the springs. Reducing the travel of the sliders would make the bike more prone to damage if you hit something with the front wheel. Never a good thing to have suspension bottom out.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

ddrumman2004 wrote:
I also took about an inch of foam out of my seat plus a little off the sides to narrow it up. It helped but I'm going to remove some more in the near future.

I'm 5'8"....or used to be.....and I really would like to have my feet planted on the ground....just like on my V Star.
I have a Corbin saddle & I took about 2" off each side @ the front where my thighs made contact. Took all air out of shacks and got good boots with about 1/2" soles and this put my feet firmly on the ground. Oh I am 5'-7"

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

yep its me hello terry put just over 200mi on her this past weekend love the bike but there is only one problem..I cant stop wiping on it:D

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

well I'm kinda scared to start cutting on the foam don't want to risk messing up a perfect seat any body got any ideas on how can i carefully remove the foam or take it to an upholstery shop:baffled:

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
imported post

Mark,

The seat comes off easy enough. Just two allen screws - one on each side- and it should slide back and off. there is a front release inside the gas fill compartment. Once you have the seat off, I should think you would be able to take it to a custom upolstery shop and have them modify it for you.

Glad you are enjoying the bike. careful that you don't rub the color off!:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
imported post

You can probably cut off 1 inch of front fork springs (you have file end of spring after you cut it)and decrease rear shocks pressure. You can decrease pressure in front shocks too.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Marky Mark wrote:
thanks for the warm welcome, its not to terribly tall I'm just on the ball of my feet love the bike first one had no idea these bikes ride so well..
Welcome to the Forums Marky Mark, from Beautiful British Columbia! :waving:

Try thicker soled boots/shoes with a good tread pattern on the bottom of them, so you don't slip in gravel/sand! :baffled:

Dusty

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

I would suggest a multi-facet approach. Minimum air pressure in rear shocks. A lower profile back tire when you next need a tire. But, the greatest benefit will come with with a custom seat, and the idea of the thick boot soles is also good.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.