Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hammer, carb. cleaner, gas, battery. Note: connect pump to battery by long wires- spark can light fuel pump

Remove fuel pump, fill it with carb cleaner, hit bracket with hammer (see picture), connect to battery to hear if if works. Again and again until it works. Sound is not enough, it has to spit carb cleaner out. When it begun working fill it with carb cleaner 2-3 times and let pump pump it out. Fill it with gas couple of times to get rid of carb cleaner. Add Sea foam to fuel after installation

If you didn't fix it (I did) click here:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=MST&MfrPartNumber=E8000

Click See all vehicles this product fits". Call junk yard ask for pump for listed cars.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
308 Posts
imported post

You have to love it When all else fails get a bigger hammer. May not fix it but it will sure work out a lot of hostility. LOL dj
 

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
Joined
·
4,513 Posts
imported post

Fine on the hammer whack..... probably can get a few miles if you can get it up to the 75-80 psi spec..... also,

I don't know why you said $20, unless you are talking junkyard.... I could not find that pump for that.... the link that you listed shows a Honda automotive pump for $103... and I don't know why anyone would want to use this.... what might be an incorrect part or a kludge...... just so everyone is aware.... the correct Honda SEI Motorcycle pump is available from service honda 16700-ML8-751 for $415.......... probably similar from honda direct...


Edit: Newbiker is correct (below), incorrect part was unfortunately quoted from the non-injected parts fiche... and above edited to that effect...It is not hard tosee why the temptation is there to substitute something else.....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
Fine on the hammer whack..... probably can get a few miles if you can get it up to the 75-80 psi spec..... also,

I don't know why you said $20, unless you are talking junkyard.... I could not find that pump for that.... the link that you listed shows a Honda automotive pump for $103... and I don't know why anyone would want to use this.... what might be an incorrect part or a cludge...... just so everyone is aware.... the correct Honda SEI Motorcycle pump is available from service honda 16700-MG9-771 for $107.......... probably similar from honda direct...
I gave link to E8000 pump because 2-3 guys said they used it. $20 is junkyard price, maybe they will ask for more. Unfortunately pump you found was for carburated engines. If I am right please delete that # before somebody orders it for SEi
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,614 Posts
imported post

Been tooling along with my E8000 pump for a year now. No problems at all and ALOT cheaper:goofygrin:. It is a tad smaller in diameter and doesn't have a built in fuel screen, but a screen is easy to make. You can use a cone screen and insert it in the inlet side of the fuel line for the pump (at the nipple)or you can cut down a flat screen to fit in the inlet nipple. I actually use both.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4 Posts
imported post

I have been having problems with my GL1200 Aspencade fuel pump since it went out last spring just before a club ride I wanted to go on. The nearest Honda shop (80 miles away) said they didn't have a fuel pump in stock. I pulleda Mallory Competition 70 fuel pump off of my 34 coupe and adapted it to the bike to make the ride. The throttle response was incredible, so much so I was afraid it would damage something else on the bike. The next Monday I went to the Honda shop and ordered a new pump. A week later when it came in they told me Honda no longer made the fuel pump for the 1200 so they got me one for the 1500. The only visible diference was the tubes where the fuel lines attached were smaller so I sinched thefuel linesdown with worm gear clamps. Now the bike won't hardly start when it's cold nearly running the battery down , it runs good once it warms up though and starts good after it warms up. It is like the bike is starved for fuel when trying to start cold. Has anyone else tried a 1500 pump on a 1200? The Master E8000 fuel pump I found out about on your forum today, will it work on the carberator model and do you think it will fix the starting problem?
 

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
Joined
·
4,513 Posts
imported post

fastdraw 357 wrote:
... Master E8000 fuel pump .... will it work on the carberator model and do you think it will fix the starting problem?
No.. ithe e8000 is only for high pressure fuel injection application's (30-80 psi), however there are other electric fuel pump options.. check randakk's site and search here... I haven't done it, but several here ahve and will probably be back... since this thread is about the ltd and sei models, you might want to start a new thread with your questin about electric fuel pumps for carbureted 1200s.... and get a proper welcome in the process
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

fastdraw 357 wrote:
I have been having problems with my GL1200 Aspencade fuel pump since it went out last spring just before a club ride I wanted to go on. The nearest Honda shop (80 miles away) said they didn't have a fuel pump in stock. I pulleda Mallory Competition 70 fuel pump off of my 34 coupe and adapted it to the bike to make the ride. The throttle response was incredible, so much so I was afraid it would damage something else on the bike. The next Monday I went to the Honda shop and ordered a new pump. A week later when it came in they told me Honda no longer made the fuel pump for the 1200 so they got me one for the 1500. The only visible diference was the tubes where the fuel lines attached were smaller so I sinched thefuel linesdown with worm gear clamps. Now the bike won't hardly start when it's cold nearly running the battery down , it runs good once it warms up though and starts good after it warms up. It is like the bike is starved for fuel when trying to start cold. Has anyone else tried a 1500 pump on a 1200? The Master E8000 fuel pump I found out about on your forum today, will it work on the carberator model and do you think it will fix the starting problem?

Carburetor pump has pressure 2-4 PSI, fuel injestion pump has pressure about 80-90 PSI which is adjusted by regulator to about 40 PSI. You should not use fuel injection pump because it will easily open float valves and carbs will flood. I used aftermarket pump for 40 doll but I had to replace fuel pump relay.

1200 pump works by ignition pulses, my aftermarket pump works from steady 12 V voltage. If Honda changed "pulse" pump to "steady" pump it will not work. I need to see 1500 wiring diagram to find out. My aftermarket pump didn't work until I changed relay and wiring.

P.S. Do you carry 357 revolver? 357 will go thru body and kill somebody else unless you have hollowpoints. You probably have hollowpoints.

I am downloading 1500 manual, I'll tell you in 20 min or so.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4 Posts
imported post

I am a member of the Marietta Gunfighters which is an old west reinactment club that puts on shows at fairs all around southern Oklahoma, I use either my Ruger 357 Blackhawk or Colt 44-40 for the shows and custom make my own blanks.
 

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
Joined
·
57,413 Posts
imported post

[align=center]Howdy fastdraw 357 :waving: [shadow=red]You are Very Welcome to The Worlds Greatest Goldwing Forum.[/shadow] :clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:[/align]
[align=left]:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:[/align]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

fastdraw 357
I checked diagram, 1500 fuel pump circuit is different from 1200 but I don't know if it "pulse" or "steady". If 1500 had same system as 1200 the same pump would be used.

You can do:

talk to Honda service manager or make parts guy do that.

If you know somebody who has 1500 take control lamp and check brown wire close to pump. If light is blinking, it the system like 1200.

Just return pump and order right one from internet. They have to give you money back if they told you that 1500 pump will work for 1200.

I have a post how I installed aftermarket pump with diagram.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,474 Posts
imported post

I see that trick working with Saber.newbikeryou got brass me boy.

I believe any of the small elec. fuel pumps in the range called for will work. just to be on safe side you might want to run the pump from one of the assecory fuses the key switch controls.

Keno
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
39 Posts
imported post

I saw your reply to the fuel pump probably and that you purchased a relay switch. I am having problems with the relay switch and cannot find where to get a replacement. Can you help me locate one. The Honda Dealer did not seem interested and told me that their was one that they might be able to get for $32.00 but they are not sure if it 10 or 20 amp. I couldn't help and the manual didn't state the amps.



Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
39 Posts
imported post

Do you have any pictures that show how your E8000 pump looks when installed. Do you use the same attachment brackets that are OEM.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
57 Posts
imported post

Hook a voltmeter to the in put of a 1500 on the fuel pump
if it flutters then it is pulse, then look at the 1200
input voltage with the key on and compare, if the 1500
is non pulse then it will just be a steady 12 volts
and the meter hand will not pulse of flutter.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,614 Posts
imported post

Im4poor wrote:
Do you have any pictures that show how your E8000 pump looks when installed. Do you use the same attachment brackets that are OEM.
I don't have any pics...but you will have to double up on the rubber and you can use the original brackets. It is a little smaller in OD than the OEM. You will also have tohave a filterto go on the inlet side of the pump. A cone filter found at any auto store will work and will fit inside the fuel hose on the inlet.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
144 Posts
imported post

fastdraw 357 wrote:
I am a member of the Marietta Gunfighters which is an old west reinactment club that puts on shows at fairs all around southern Oklahoma, I use either my Ruger 357 Blackhawk or Colt 44-40 for the shows and custom make my own blanks.
Nice. I have a 1901 (year made) Savage Model 1899 chambered in .303. Picked it up a couple monthes age. Can't wait to get some shoot time in. :arguing:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
39 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the info but I have one other question. I was having a problem getting voltage through the relay switch so I wired a switch directly to the fuel pump. It runs well but here is the process that I have to do to get going. Turn on the ingition switch then the newly wired in switch that turns on the fule pump, then I hit the ignition button.

No problems running but just wanted to get an opinion if this was a wise thing to do.



Thanks
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top