Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Mine is a 86 SEI.

I was wondering if a local auto parts shop would have a replacement fuel filter for it?? I want one that will mount in the same place as the old one using the same fuel banjo mount lines.

I could go to the local dealer but there mark up is high.

If there is a after market one could you give me the brand and part number??

Thanks Kurt

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Try pulling it off and taking it down there (probably napa or tweekerzone). If you get someone who really knows their crap they should be able to dig something up if it exists. I know there is a fuel PUMP that interchanges, E8000 I believe, but I haven't tryed the filter.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

You might also try a John Deere dealer, I was told on another forum they make one that fits, but if they do, it is likely to also be expensive. So many parts are no longer available for this bike that I consider myself lucky to be able to get a part at any price.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I went to the Honda dealer. They still carry them....48.00

Also Bike bandit also has them.....stock OEM.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

blackknytecnc wrote:
Try pulling it off and taking it down there (probably napa or tweekerzone).
I went to advanced Auto to get my plugs and they were able to look my bike up on the computer to see which ones I needed, and crossed referenced them to the NGK Iridiums, but didn't have them in stock. So I went next store to AutoZone...... The guy didn't know how to look up a motorcycle on the computer, which just standing at the counter I could clearly see the tab for motorcycles. We
hen I pointed that out to him he said yea, they can look up motor cycles but mines not on there...... I said How do you know, I haven't even told you what I have????

Long story short....... He had no way to cross reference NGK plugs........ What an Idiot!

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

there is no exact replacement for the sei fuel filter at the auto parts stores,closeest fit i've found is a napa # 3556 but it is about a 1/3 larger and wont fit in the stock brackets
honda is your only alternative,sorry

napa/wix will not make them as there is not enough call for them to do the engineering and production

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

neoracer wrote:
there is no exact replacement for the sei fuel filter at the auto parts stores,closeest fit i've found is a napa # 3556 but it is about a 1/3 larger and wont fit in the stock brackets
honda is your only alternative,sorry

napa/wix will not make them as there is not enough call for them to do the engineering and production
Thanks, your right I ended up going threw the dealer. They where able to get them still so I figured why not. I don't like hacking up the bike just to put a fuel filter in her.

Want to keep her looking like it was built.

BTW: thanks for your reply also Dennis.

Kurt

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Even though it is expensive, that filter will likely last a looong time. I have an '85 LTD, which I don't really care about keeping stock, at least the small stuff, with 93,000 miles on it. It probably has the original filter. IMO, Honda should have made a filter housing that could be taken apart, and just the element replaced. I have seen a lot of filters made that way. So far I have found a lot of things on the Goldwing that could have been made a lot easier and cheaper to repair/replace. This bike kind of reminds me of the printer companies, with their super expensive non reusable cartridges. They actually built part of the printer into the cartridge. Fortunately somebody figured out how to refil them anyway. Other parts of the Goldwing are very easy to work on. I really don't think Honda thought any of these bikes would be still being ridden by now. Honda seems to have a "disposable" attitude when it comes to building both bikes and cars, but in all fairness, they are not alone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.