Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Does anyone know if there is any place that can repair the travel computer. Mine on my 85 LTD is bad and I would like to get it fixed.

Thanks Paul

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I don't know of anywhere to get one repaired. I bought a defunct one on eBay and was able to put that and the non-working one on my SEI together to make one good one. The computer is made up of two or three main modules, often the connectors get corroded, it's worth the effort to take the thing apart and clean the contacts and connectors to make sure there isn't a broken wire.

What is wrong with yours? Is it completely dead or does some part of it still work?

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
imported post

I'm with Exavid on this one. look for the simple problem first. I had trouble with mine when I first bought the bike. I went over the printed circuit board with a magnifying glass and found a crack. Soldered it and 5 years later, it still works perfectly.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I eliminated any wiring problems and reduced it down to the computer itself. It would power up then pop the fuse, but all the other functions were ok (radio and oil gauge functions). So I tested the pins and found I was getting continuity between positive and negative (not good). Looks like one of the flat round resistors got hot. Ive never replaced one of them and don't know how to test it. Any ideas? It's blue,flat and round with plastic coating around it.

I already bought another working trip computer off ebay so I guess it dosen't matter if I mess this one up. Just wanted to get thisworking so I could sell it or have an extra one.So any curcuit board solderingtips, beforeI burn it up? lol

Thanks. Paul H.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sorry Paul H. it's been quite a while since I worked on one of those and I can't remember if the components are surface mounted or soldered through the board. With luck you might be able to identify the damaged component by comparing it to your new computer. If you get lucky and get the original one working it might be a good idea to hang onto it as long as you have your current bike. Spares are good. You can always sell it eventually when you move to another bike and further along in time it will likely be worth more. It should be worth a reasonable amount even in non working condition. I sure liked that computer and the extra instrumentation and miss it since I went on to a 1500.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks alot Paul you're right, Ill hold on to it. Everything is soldered in it. Ill give it a shot. Thanks for your advice. This is my first wing and have been helped alotby you guys already. If your ever riding in this area look me up.

Paul H.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.