Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new high pressure sprayer to help keep things clean around the outside of the house.

When it is stored, the pump internals need to be lubricated to prevent minerals from oxidizing the parts, and the seals drying out, and to purge the water in the pump so it don't freeze.

I have read reviews on the stuff that is sold by Home Depot, and there are a lot of complaints that the bottle is so skimpy, that it bursts open when you try to squeeze the contents into the pump body.

What is the stuff made out of?

I'm thinking that just good ole Ethylene Glycol should do the job?

what ever it is, has to be water soluble....

6039WEB at this link is way expensive:
http://briggs.partstockpile.com/index.php/6039web.html

Home Depot don't stock it anymore. Their link shows 3 different products.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Power-Care-12-oz-Pressure-Washer-Pump-Protector-AP31093/202277609

This brand claims that antifreeze is not the thing to use:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Karcher-16-oz-Pump-Guard-Pump-Guard/202943051

this is more expensive, but has enough for 4 or 5 uses.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/AR-Blue-Clean-Pump-Saver-AR64511/203160413

·
Administrator
25,772 Posts
Didn't know you were supposed to do that but I did find this;

1. Connect a short garden hose to inlet of pump. Preferably 1-2 ft in length. **A one or two foot section cut off of an old hose works great**
  2. Fill hose with straight antifreeze and hold. Do not use a 50% mix. A second person to hold the hose may be helpful.
  3. Pull the pull cord with out starting the unit until antifreeze comes out of the outlet where you would hook up your high pressure hose. You are now done!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave,
I was thinking the same thing.
the 'lube' has to be water soluble, and there aren't too many lubes that are.

and straight glycol is about as slippery as they come.

I can buy a full gallon of pure antifreeze for what one little 8 oz bottle of their 'special lube' sells for.

·
Just one of the guys
4,796 Posts
RV Anti freeze (the pink stuff). Should work well, it is supposed to have stuff in it to keep seals in good condition and it rinses out quite easily.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RV Anti freeze (the pink stuff). Should work well, it is supposed to have stuff in it to keep seals in good condition and it rinses out quite easily.

Now that you mention that, I do believe that you are quite right.

Back when I was pulling a camper, we had to use that to keep the water pump from sticking solid.... not to mention, not being poisonous to humans :grin3:

·
Registered
465 Posts
.... not to mention, not being poisonous to humans :grin3:
When you go to take a drink from the end of the pressure washer hose could you please let me know. I'd almost pay to watch that. :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
6,383 Posts
Be careful with RV antifreeze. Some of it is made from alcohol (Ehanol Based) it works to dry out the rubber seals. Make sure you get Propylene Glycol based. My neighbor uses Propylene Glycol based and adds some KY liquid (generic brand) He always makes sure to check out where a girl is working. Makes him proud! :)

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
Having the pleasure of owning a pressure washing business.... I have several units that are stored for winter months. We use Dollar store windshield washer fluid in the pumps and in any hose that is stored. You also need to make sure when you store the hose that you couple the two ends together to prevent air from getting into the hose and rust out the steel braiding.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now that is a super good piece of information....
I had not even thought of that.

Now I know how to take care of it properly.

thanks John.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.