Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I read a while back about Mr. Fix It's adding a little Lucas Heavy Duty oil additive to his bike's oil after changing it. He said that it seemed to quiet the engine noise. Well, I tried putting 8 oz in my Rotella T synth when I changed it Fridayand by golly, it seems to work. I have had a small amount of the "ticky-ticky" valve train noise since I bought the bike. I honestly believe the bike is now running much more quiet. I also got almost 45 mpg yesterday which may or may not be a result of the additive.

The L.H.D.O.A. states right on the label that it is safe to use with wet clutches. I didn't notice any change in my clutch after 200 miles. Still grabs hold like it use to and under heavy acceleration didn't seem to have any slippage at all.

Just thought I'd offer my report to anyone who's interested.

One other thing: The temps were in the low 90's F. and my Evans coolant seems to not be bothered at all. Guage stayed right in the middle in town or out running 65 mph. (Had to throw in the Evans plug since it's been almost 2 weeks since the last:grinner:)

Hobie:angel:

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

My neutral switch stopped working after i put it in. 10w-40 works great.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Heavy Duty Lucas additive just thickens the oil up. I don't really like it except to quieten down old engines or maybe reduce a bit of smoking. I only ever did this with bikes and cars that I was selling, but I wonder how easily the thicker oil will pump with Lucas in it?

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Considering that I only used about 7%mixture of Lucas to Rotella T(using 3.5 US quarts of oil to 8 ounces of Lucas), I don't think viscosity will be a problem. I like the lubricity of the Lucas.

Understand that my observations do not mean that I'm endorsing or promoting the use of ANY product to my friends on this or any forum. Just passing along my observations. As with Evans, I have no financial gain in said observations. Users beware and use at your own risk. When in doubt, do without.

hobie

BTW, how much of the additive did you use and how long after you put it in did your neutral switch quit working? I'd like to know for future reference.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Does synthetic oil even need additives? I thought it wasn't reccomended to do this with modern synths.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=25&catid=2&loc=show

You can read about the stuff in this link. Like I said, please don't use this stuff if you have any doubt at all. I was just passing along my personal experience to date if anyone was interested.
Hobie, let us know how that works out for you long term. I see by the Lucas data sheet that oil additive has a 100°C cSt of 110,, 140 weight gear oil is only 41 cSt @ 100°C so that stuff is mighty thick. I would worry about cold start up & oil pump damage.

There spec sheet also says it contains phosphorus (that is usually good for any metal to metal contact at start-up). It also says it has sulfur & that is good for gear oil but quite bad for motor oil as it causes long term bearing etching during lay-ups & storage.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for your input Twisty. I have read your other posts on the oil subject and have found them informative.

As I'm using such a small percentage ratio of Lucas to Rotella, I'm of the opinion that the viscosity over-all hasn't changed much. You are correct in the observation about how thick the stuff is. It has the consistancy of honey.

I'm going to change my oil before I park the ol' girl this winter. I'll decide next spring whether or not to put the stuff back in.

I think I'll contact Lucas and ask them point blank about the sulfur/bearing issue.

Thanks again for your input folks. I'm here to learn and if possible help others.

Regards,

Hobie

P.S. I just e-mailedLucas and will post back if andwhat they tell me.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
As I'm using such a small percentage ratio of Lucas to Rotella, I'm of the opinion that the viscosity over-all hasn't changed much. You are correct in the observation about how thick the stuff is. It has the consistancy of honey.
It (your oil's viscosity) must have changed somewhat or you wouldn't be noticing a quieter engine. It's hard to tell if you will disperse the Lucas into your engine oil enough to not alter your base oil's cold viscosity or it will thicken up in it's own right when cold & partially plug off your oil filter or a small oil passage & block oil flow.

I'm not a big believer in any of the oil additives as the additive packages in thoseproducts are not always compatible with additives in modern motor oils (especially the synthetic type). Problem is; due to all the different oil packages & even running changes in the same oil company's product there is just no way any of the after-market oil additive products are tested in conjunction with all the oil's available out there at any given time. A few years ago one of the oil supplements (can't remember which one) would produce chlorine when added to a certain oil & that would severely etch bearings & erode engine components. That is one of the main reasons that most all the motorcycle & auto companies do not recommend (usually recommend against) using any sort of oil additive, they just can't predict what will happen when certain additives are mixed together in the engine crankcase then exposed to heat, moisture, age, & oil breakdown.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
I read a while back about Mr. Fix It's adding a little Lucas Heavy Duty oil additive to his bike's oil after changing it. He said that it seemed to quiet the engine noise. Well, I tried putting 8 oz in my Rotella T synth when I changed it Fridayand by golly, it seems to work. I have had a small amount of the "ticky-ticky" valve train noise since I bought the bike. I honestly believe the bike is now running much more quiet. I also got almost 45 mpg yesterday which may or may not be a result of the additive.

The L.H.D.O.A. states right on the label that it is safe to use with wet clutches. I didn't notice any change in my clutch after 200 miles. Still grabs hold like it use to and under heavy acceleration didn't seem to have any slippage at all.

Just thought I'd offer my report to anyone who's interested.

One other thing: The temps were in the low 90's F. and my Evans coolant seems to not be bothered at all. Guage stayed right in the middle in town or out running 65 mph. (Had to throw in the Evans plug since it's been almost 2 weeks since the last:grinner:)

Hobie:angel:

Ihave had the same results and I am pleased with it thus far!:cooler:
The Lucas website gives the details as to what takes place with the oil and how it works so if there is anyone interested on the exact technology of the oil additive then they should take a cyber trip over to the website.
Glad to see that Hobie isn't stirring the pot too much, just a bit so Evans can continue simmering!!:goofygrin::goofygrin::goofygrin:
And yes! I am an Evans user as well.
No we are not related..:toast:
Ride on Hobie1 can obie!!:12red::dance:

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks Mr. Fix it.

As far as viscosity is concerned, I really don't see how a 7% add to the oil is going to radically change the original oil's properties. What I do believe is that the additive adds a change in lubricity and retention to surfaces that it's applied to. Hence, since it's sticky, the change in my motor's noise is more of a result of the lubricant "sticking around". I have no facts to base my opinion. Way beyond my pay grade.

Or I could of had a bit too much of fresh air and was giddy with the experience:cheeky1:.

I don't want to create a "oil war" here. My intentions are just to offer my opinion.

Peace everyone. Please don't try this stuff. I don't want anyone to blow up their bike.

Hobie........................................................................out

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

I put it in the last batch of oil I had in my bike, and it did quiet the engine some. A few notes tho:

1. The Previous owner had put slick 50 in that batch of oil, so it was already a bit weird.

2. The clutch would give out a really loud CLUNK as it engaged when the engine was HOT.

3. Adding the Lucas did nothing to change the startup clunk of the transmission, but it did quiet the gear shifting down, and made it easier.

4. Lucas did eliminate the valve clatter for a period of time, but i eventually returned.

5. When I swapped out the oil, I put Castrol GTX, 10w40 in the pan. The new GTX oil removed the startup clunk, and also quieted the valve train to nothing. Now, after 2k miles on this batch of oil, the clatter is back, and the tranny is starting to clunk and not want to shift again.

I think what is happening is "Viscosity breakdown" where the engine is exerting a sheer force on the oil , thereby cutting the super-long polymer chains into shorter chains, and "thinning out" the oil. As the motor oil's actual viscosity lowers, the valves start to clatter. By adding the Lucas, you are simply bringing the oil's viscosity back up to where it was when you first poured it out of the bottle.

Whaddya all think about that?

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Works for me!
I'm not sure about Honda's claim of 8,000 mile between oil changes. Sounds more like 2,000 - 3000.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I gotta think that Honda knows what they're doing and want to keep a good rep. That said, I change around 4 to 5 thousand. I don't care how good the stuff is, I just couldn't force myself to put something in my bike that said 'Lucas' on it.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Just out of curiosity, what is the oil-change interval for the 1200?

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

My '85 owner's manual says 8,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Yah...

I think I'll stick with 3k miles.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

I change Oil about every 6000 miles, Mobile 1 syn!

do the same on my cars and always get well over 200,000 hard miles out of them and then the next owner keeps driving them for a long time!

The 3000 mile rule for Oil was instituded back in the days of "Straight WT. Oil" which had no cleaning/friction/suspension agents in them, so 6000 is not harming your engine!

I know the screams will start now!

My friend changed his Oil in his Toyota every 6-7000 Mobile 1 and it had 450,000 miles on it running good when a mechanic screwed his engine up or he would have closed in on a 1/2 million miles! Not bad!

Yes, bikes are harder on Oil than cars!

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Ok, I just got back from the auto-parts store (needed to buy a club for my car... rash of thefts at work.) and I picked up another bottle of Lucas.

There is a dayglow orange sticker on it that reads:

Stops thermal breakdown / extends engine life / contains no Teflon / no sulfur / no chlorine

It also claims it is 100% petroleum based.

The claims on the bottle are: (Exact copy, even punctuation errors...)

-Reduces friction for less wear, higher fuel mileage and more power

-Insures against oil breakdown in case of overheating

-Extends oil life at least 50% longer

-Slows blow-by for less pollution and oil contamination

-Raises oil pressure.

-Will not sludge or Varnish

-Easier starting at any temperature

-Premium assembly lube

-Controls heat and wear in high performance motorcycles especially, Harley Davidson (use 25-30%). For 4-stroke motorcycles with wet clutches use 10%, otherwise use 20%

-Blends with other automotive lubricants even ATF, Mineral oil and Synthetic oil.

Since when was a Harley engine "High performance"?

Anyhow, I just squeezed some into the crankcase to see if I can shut up the clatter.

I'll let you know of any ill-effects.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

philcsand wrote:
Ok, I just got back from the auto-parts store (needed to buy a club for my car... rash of thefts at work.) and I picked up another bottle of Lucas.
Philcsand, that sticker is sure a great attention getter & way to ply advertising hype isn't it?

Lets just go down that list of greatness they employ..

Stops thermal breakdown / extends engine life / contains no Teflon / no sulfur / no chlorine--- I'm not sure how it would stop thermal breakdown as it's flash point is lower (425°) than most modern synthetic oil's, even then it would not stop the existing oil from breaking down & turning to sludge. As far as containing no Teflon, we'll have to take their word for that. Now on the "no sulfur" part, that is a little confusing as their MSDS data sheet shows it produces sulfur when heated (oh well the orange sticker says no so sulfur but that isn't federally regulated like the MSDS sheet is).

It also claims it is 100% petroleum based.--- Probably true, no reason to doubt that.

The claims on the bottle are: (Exact copy, even punctuation errors...)

-Reduces friction for less wear, higher fuel mileage and more power---That is a hard one to swallow as the viscosity is that of 250 weight gear oil. Not sure how using a petroleum based heavy weight sticky substance could reduce friction but maybe it needs an API energy rating if it reduces friction.

-Insures against oil breakdown in case of overheating--- This is a good one. With a 425° flash point it would flash off well before most good modern synthetic oil's & you would then have to rely on the main oil's thermal protection.

-Extends oil life at least 50% longer---My question here is HOW.. What does that small amount of added goo do to prolong oil life? Is there massive amounts of additives in it to do so? If it does contain some magic additive why haven't the motor companies started using it. They are spending millions to add oil life to the modern automobile as frequent oil changes are one of the last maintenance items that are left before offering 100, 000 mile maintenance free driving. Maybe someone should tell them of this modern undiscovered marvel.

-Slows blow-by for less pollution and oil contamination--- This would probably be true on an old worn out engine. If the rings are sealing now there would be no gain here.

-Raises oil pressure.--- Again, probably true (at least when cold),, once the engine is up to operating temperature the oil pressure regulator would control oil pressure & there would be no difference here. More cold oil pressure is not a good thing & can cause broken parts, blown oil filters, twisted off oil pump drives..

-Will not sludge or Varnish--- Not sure this is true or not, without through testing on all things it's used in under all operating conditions there is no way to know.

-Easier starting at any temperature--- Now this one borders on absurdity.. That stuff will barely pour out of the bottle in warm weather so you know what it would be like at -20° below 0...

-Premium assembly lube--- This is probably true as that stuff is very sticky & would make a good assembly lube.

-Controls heat and wear in high performance motorcycles especially, Harley Davidson (use 25-30%). For 4-stroke motorcycles with wet clutches use 10%, otherwise use 20%--- This I find hard to believe as that thick Lucas would prevent bearing heat removal by creating a thick boundary layer. The more oil that flows over a bearing surface the more heat it carries away. That is why a good synthetic oil will lower bearing & oil operating temperatures up to 40° in some engines. The more closely matched the oil molecule size the better the heat removal due to oil flow at the bearings & ring area.

-Blends with other automotive lubricants even ATF, Mineral oil and Synthetic oil.--- Probably true but gear oil would blend with brake fluid what does that matter. The big question is: how does the additives in that stuff blend with & react to the additives in your base engine oil? Unless tested with every oil on the market under every operating condition in every engine typethere is just no way to know what will happen when mixed with a certain oil & additive package.

Twisty

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.