Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
28,071 Posts
Someone once upon a time used regular bearing grease for that, unknown what brand, and had no problem with it. The reason for using moly paste is the molybdenum stays there even after the grease dries up.

Reactions: limpy45

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
376 Posts
This is the result of not using Molybdenum grease on the drive shaft splines.

Scaled reptile Wood Ingredient Plant Terrestrial animal
Glove Wood Gas Personal protective equipment Wrist

You, of course, can use any grease you like. Me? I'm using Molybdenum.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
758 Posts

View attachment 327573 View attachment 327574

Molybdenum grease used in high pressure applications like the driveshaft splines and the pins on the final drive. It bonds with the material and allows constant lubrication. I agree with Briese, pay me now or pay me later.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I think if the o rings in the differential are replaced and there’s no way for the grease to get out thendepending on the tact you know how long your tire will run before it gets new service the good grease would be fine,

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Chances Honda was just trying to cover ther butt by putting the best lubricant the money can buy🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️While others may work just fine,I personally use john Deere corn head greas in mine ,103 k miles and when I remove the rear wheel it looks great?

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Chances Honda was just trying to cover ther butt by putting the best lubricant the money can buy🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️While others may work just fine,I personally use john Deere corn head greas in mine ,103 k miles and when I remove the rear wheel it looks great?
Do you remove the final drive when you remove the rear wheel?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
136 Posts
The Lucas is an extreme pressure grease with a timken rating it will do everything that a moly grease will do. It is used in agricultural and marine applications which are more severe than anything your wings drive will ever face.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
The Lucas is an extreme pressure grease with a timken rating it will do everything that a moly grease will do. It is used in agricultural and marine applications which are more severe than anything your wings drive will ever face.
Wasn't the original question about the drive axle splines, not the drive itself?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Yep it was,just got off topic I suppose

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Yeah ,when we start tal about the rear wheel assembly we think the splines

Reactions: limpy45

·
Registered
93 Posts

View attachment 327573 View attachment 327574

that type of corrosion Fretting is not from the type of grease. splines done that when there is excess movement forward and aft of the driveshaft splines with the cup. the only thing that will prevent that almost 100% for a spline coupling joint is being submerged in an oil bath. How to prevent it is the condition of the spring clip on the end of the drive shaft and the Most important thing is extremely easy slide movement of the universal joint. The spline connection should have zero fwd/aft movement, all movement should be taken up by the universal joint splines. make sure only one type of grease is used for the U-joint. I use grease with higher moly content than honda calls for.

for the cup splines this is about the best to use TS-60 SG Spline Grease

1 - 20 of 36 Posts