Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,286 Posts
Someone once upon a time used regular bearing grease for that, unknown what brand, and had no problem with it. The reason for using moly paste is the molybdenum stays there even after the grease dries up.
I was one of those people. I used red bearing grease once a year (I went through the bike annually to inspect/clean/lube) or about every 8-10k. Bike got rear ended and totalled at 130k and the splines still looked perfect.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Road Ranger

·
Registered
137 Posts
it will not do everything that moly does. u need to study about moly in detail
Well I guess then that I didn't study Moly since I only got 173,000 miles out of my original drive without it and was still good when I got rid of it. Maybe if I would have been more informed like you I would have replaced it just because.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,286 Posts
I didn't even use the Lucas brand. It was Valvoline red grease. All I know is they were perfect condition at 130k and I bought the bike with 12k on it

Reactions: Road Ranger

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,863 Posts
Yeah, but maybe if you used moly you wouldn't have gotten rear ended. ;)
Totally unrelated to using "Moly"

a friend of mine here locally, works for the Water Department.

He was driving slow on the E/W road just a mile north of my house, he spotted where the leak seemed to be ( ground is soaking wet ) and started to make a " K turn " so that he could get back to the leak. ( his Water Department truck has all the big flashers on it )

He was just reversing from backing up into the Berm, got into Drive and turned Left to get back on the road.....

a non-English speaking driver, holding the steering wheel of a loaded Semi-Trailer rig T-Boned him in the driver's door.

he is going to live, but he is really bunged up, this was just a few hours ago.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,286 Posts
Sorry about your friend, John!

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,286 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
I was one of those people. I used red bearing grease once a year (I went through the bike annually to inspect/clean/lube) or about every 8-10k. Bike got rear ended and totalled at 130k and the splines still looked perfect.

See that is why you got rear ended, the grease was tacky and just pulled the car that hit you right in, if you had used moly it would have slid right off without any damage.😁

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
OK, got the correct grease and now when I put the tire back on when I tighten the axel bolt down it locks up the wheel. I have looked at the Honda manual I can't see anything I have installed wrong. Any got any ideas what might be causing this?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
What bike? Your sig says 08 trike, but your avatar is an early wing. Look at the parts diagram and make sure you have the spacers, caliper mount, drive, and swingarm all stacked in the right order.
Also make sure the spacer between the bearings inside the wheel is there.

·
Administrator
28,078 Posts
OK, got the correct grease and now when I put the tire back on when I tighten the axel bolt down it locks up the wheel. I have looked at the Honda manual I can't see anything I have installed wrong. Any got any ideas what might be causing this?
You never mentioned what you are working on but the only time I have seen that happen is when the spacer was left out of the final drive on an 1100.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Sorry guys, working on a 99 GL1500. I thank I have found the problem but not sure why. The large plastic dust ring is pressing on the wheel hub. Which way dose the distance collars big end go if you are looking from the back of the bike? I thank I have it right but now I am not sure of anything.

·
Administrator
28,078 Posts
That would be caused by the spacer inside the final drive being gone or the wrong thing. If you mean the collar on the brake side the large end goes against the caliper bracket.

·
Administrator
28,078 Posts
Dave it is part 42625-MW5-000 Collar Distance on Partzilla.
That is the one inside the final drive, it goes just like in the picture, big end to the right.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
That is the one inside the final drive, it goes just like in the picture, big end to the right.
OK, just want to let everyone know what I found that was causing the wheel to lock up when I tighten the axel nut. I was trying to use the wrong dust cover. I had gotten an early 88 or 89 mixed up with the one that came off the bike which is a 99. They are made different as is the wheel. Thanks for all the help.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts