Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you get a M/C license on a tryke or do you have to use a 2 wheeler? I've looked on the CT.DMV site and can't get an answer,and getting through on the phone to speak to a human .......well you know. I'd like my wife to get a license but she's afraid to dump a 2 wheeler.She loves my tryke and would like to maybe get her own. Thanks

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
you will have to ask, or research the rules for the state you live in.
Some DMV locations have small motorcycles to rent for the test, that way it feels more like a bicycle.

I never have taken a DMV M/C test in my life, just used my regular Driver's License and so far, in every occasion where I was asked to show it while riding my bike, not one LEO mentioned the lack of a M/C endorsement.

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
I never have taken a DMV M/C test in my life, just used my regular Driver's License and so far, in every occasion where I was asked to show it while riding my bike, not one LEO mentioned the lack of a M/C endorsement.
I didn't know there was such a thing until 2008 when someone mentioned it.

Reactions: AZgl1800

·
Registered
409 Posts
You may not need one for a trike. A lot of states do not require one for 3 wheel motorcycles. Each state is different, so keep digging unless someone from CT with a trike can provide the info.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Here is the info you are looking for I think.

It looks like you take the motorcycle written test and you get the endorsement for a 3 wheel motorcycle. If you want to operate a 2 wheel motorcycle, then you have to take the state safety class and pass a riding test to get the 2 wheel endorsement. I just went through it quickly, but that is what I took from it.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts

I hope you don't get pulled over in Calif. They could impound your bike and you woluld be walking. I guess that would depend on the officer that pulls over.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts

I hope you don't get pulled over in Calif. They could impound your bike and you woluld be walking. I guess that would depend on the officer that pulls over.
FAT CHANCE THAT WILL EVER HAPPEN.
I will, never, ever, set foot inside Kalifernia for as long as I live.
Had enough of that place back when my son lived there, and he isn't going back either, he left for a good reason.

Every LEO that I ever had an occasion to meet, is just as nice to me, as I am to them.
Attitude is everything.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is the info you are looking for I think.

It looks like you take the motorcycle written test and you get the endorsement for a 3 wheel motorcycle. If you want to operate a 2 wheel motorcycle, then you have to take the state safety class and pass a riding test to get the 2 wheel endorsement. I just went through it quickly, but that is what I took from it.

Hope this helps.
thank you so much for the info

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
There was a time when regular DL would sufice for motorcycle riding in FL. No Mas.
Took my first one in Romania. You almost had to have the knowedge of a test pilot.Like 350 questions.And a brave cop would ride on your motorcycle behind you for a city ride.
I took mine in NJ on a 50 cc scooter. That no mas either. You need something larger then 50cc

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
In Va., you can get the license endorsement on a 2 wheeler and it's good on a 3 wheeler, but not the other way around. If you test (demo proficiency) on a 3 wheeler, you're limited to 3 wheelers.

Used to be that all 2 and 3 wheelers required same endorsement before trikes got so popular. It changed.

In my years, I did check endorsements when the class of motor vehicle required one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In Va., you can get the license endorsement on a 2 wheeler and it's good on a 3 wheeler, but not the other way around. If you test (demo proficiency) on a 3 wheeler, you're limited to 3 wheelers.

Used to be that all 2 and 3 wheelers required same endorsement before trikes got so popular. It changed.

In my years, I did check endorsements when the class of motor vehicle required one.
thank you

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I would love to see someone go take the test on a GW
I did my riding skill test on a GL1000 with full Vetter plastics in IL you do 10 low speed skill test the third one you weave cones do a U-turn the stop with the front wheel in a box on the ground the guy before me dropped his Honda 650 weaving the cones. When it was my turn the guy giving me the test ask if I didn't want to borrow a buddies smaller bike, I told him I shouldn't be riding if I couldn't pass on my bike. The first two skill test were a piece of cake when doing the third one just had fun with it stopped in the box took my time putting my feet down, the tester told me no need to do the rest I passed. If you know your bike doesn't matter what you test on.

·
Dee
8 Posts
Can you get a M/C license on a tryke or do you have to use a 2 wheeler? I've looked on the CT.DMV site and can't get an answer,and getting through on the phone to speak to a human .......well you know. I'd like my wife to get a license but she's afraid to dump a 2 wheeler.She loves my tryke and would like to maybe get her own. Thanks
If your title calls it a Motor Cycle, then it is a Motor cycle. I have had a three wheeler for 20 years and there is no question about the license.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts