Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning my first roadtrip of the year and I need some route advice/recommendations.

I will be traveling from Virginia to Mackinaw City then through Wisconsin, Minnesota to Fargo via US Route 2. On the way back home, I will be going through Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois and Kentucky.

I plan to pull my Teardrop camper and stay at state/national parks and campgrounds along the route.

For those of you who live/have travelled this route, any suggestions on scenic roads, sites and other interesting locations would be most appreciated.

Here is a link to my proposed route in Mapquest:

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Can't help you much,but I do know the Mackinaw Bridge is something to see lit up at night.Stayed at a motel right near the State side base(east side) of it back in the early 90's .

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
There are some nice areas to go to in northern Wisconsin but you shouldn't miss the Keweenaw Peninsula, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan including Copper Harbor. Camping is available in the Houghton Hancock area. The Munising Michigan area is also nice with the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. Anytime you can spend on the Lake Superior Scenic Loop. The Porcupine Mountains State Park, Michigan. Bayfield and the Apostle Islands in Michigan. The Aerostitch manufacturing facility in Duluth Minnesota.

Deals Gap and the Cherohala Skyway and you can stay anywhere but I had a nice time in Robbinsville NC. at the 2 Wheel Inn. Tons of nice roads and areas to stay and enjoy.

Can't miss the Blueridge Parkway or Skyline Dr.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
One place not too far off your route is in Annamosa, Ia.

http://www.nationalmotorcyclemuseum.org/

They have lots of interesting older bikes, and it's lot's of different brands so it not just HD's.

Great place to rest and spend and hour or so looking around.

If you enjoy seeing some older classic bikes, give it a shot.

·
everyday member
514 Posts
As oldwing99 says, the Keweenaw Peninsula is a must see. I have rode the area many times.
Once you come across the Mackinaw Bridge, you can get on US 2 and head west. I would suggest instead go farther north on I 75 and then go west on M 28. This road will take you across the U.P. and some of the most beautiful areas in the state of Michigan. So much to see as you travel west, and for me, much better ride. I live in the western part of the U.P. in Iron River and am able to ride the roads quit a bit. Let me know when you are coming and if possible, I'll meet up and ride some with you.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Looks like you're heading up I-75 through Michigan. A small detour and a must see is the "Tunnel of Trees". Plenty of references to it on these forums of you do a search.

From I-75, take exit 310 (Burt Lake/Indian River). Catch 68 West for a few miles until it dead-ends at US 31. Left on US 31 to Petosky. Catch M119 (also called M22) north through Harbor Springs and follow the lake shore north.

The "Tunnel" twists along the lakeshore for about 20 miles or so. About halfway up you'll pass the Good Hart General Store http://www.goodhartstore.com/Good_Hart_General_Store,_Welcome.html . Nice place to stop for a rest and some pics.

Continue north to the end at Cross Village. If you plan this run for the afternoon, you'll want to catch a meal at the famous Legs Inn http://www.legsinn.com/food.html. Well known for their food, atmosphere and views from the patio and garden overlooking Lake Michigan. We haven't been there at sunset but the views must be exceptional. They have cabins for rent at reasonable rate, but if you'd rather have a hotel, try the Pellston Lodge http://www.pellstonlodge.com/. It's on your way back to I-75, and they have good prices/facilities and are motorcycle friendly.

Catch US 31 north again and it'll take you right up to Mackinaw City and the Mackinaw Bridge.

By the way, let us know when you're planning the ride, and whether you might be interested in having forum members join you for parts of your ride. We're from southwest Michigan, but I'm pretty sure my wife would love to head north and ride the Tunnel again.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Looks like you're heading up I-75 through Michigan. A small detour and a must see is the "Tunnel of Trees". Plenty of references to it on these forums of you do a search.

From I-75, take exit 310 (Burt Lake/Indian River). Catch 68 West for a few miles until it dead-ends at US 31. Left on US 31 to Petosky. Catch M119 (also called M22) north through Harbor Springs and follow the lake shore north.

The "Tunnel" twists along the lakeshore for about 20 miles or so. About halfway up you'll pass the Good Hart General Store http://www.goodhartstore.com/Good_Hart_General_Store,_Welcome.html . Nice place to stop for a rest and some pics.

Continue north to the end at Cross Village. If you plan this run for the afternoon, you'll want to catch a meal at the famous Legs Inn http://www.legsinn.com/food.html. Well known for their food, atmosphere and views from the patio and garden overlooking Lake Michigan. We haven't been there at sunset but the views must be exceptional. They have cabins for rent at reasonable rate, but if you'd rather have a hotel, try the Pellston Lodge http://www.pellstonlodge.com/. It's on your way back to I-75, and they have good prices/facilities and are motorcycle friendly.

Catch US 31 north again and it'll take you right up to Mackinaw City and the Mackinaw Bridge.

By the way, let us know when you're planning the ride, and whether you might be interested in having forum members join you for parts of your ride. We're from southwest Michigan, but I'm pretty sure my wife would love to head north and ride the Tunnel again.

Steve

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses.

I have added the Keewenaw Peninsula to my route out of Mackinaw City.

The motorcycle museum and the Tunnel of Trees are also on my trip list.

The Leggs Inn is also on the list of places to eat.

Thanks again, I do appreciate all of the information and suggestions.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
"Thanks Born Again, I’ve been to the Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley, NC and am always interested in motorcycling history."

This is totally different than that place.
These bikes are cleaned, polished and look like new, not refugees from a junk yard.
To each his own, but I was disappointed in WTT

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
when crossing the bridge, stay in the right lane. the left lane turns into crating which is only a little squirrely but add that to the infamous wind on the bridge and it gets real hairy real quick

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
when crossing the bridge, stay in the right lane. the left lane turns into crating which is only a little squirrely but add that to the infamous wind on the bridge and it gets real hairy real quick
Thanks for the tip, jnel57. Since I will be pulling a Teardrop, I'm sure the wind is going to be 'interesting' enough on the paved portion of the bridge deck.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Here's a couple more things for you to consider on this trip. Depending upon the time of day you cross the bridge, there are several camping options in the St. Ignace, MI area which is the town on the northside of the the bridge. Right along the lake shore over looking the bridge is Straits State Park. If you were to stay there for a couple days, you could make a day of it on Mackinaw Island. Also, fifty miles north on I-75 is Sault Ste. Marie (The Soo) which has plenty of history too. Great lakes ship museum, Soo Locks tour, etc.
Back to St Ignace: after crossing the bridge, if your plan is to head west, US-2 is your route. Keep in mind, this is a two lane road that can get extremely busy in the summer with campers, trailers, etc. It does have several passing lane sections but, traffic can be slow and, it is considered a dangerous road for that reason. You'll find as you travel west, several other US Forest Service campgrounds along the way so, more camping options.
Previously mentioned was a visit to Tahquamenon Falls......there's actually two; the lower and upper falls......two separate areas just a few miles apart. Both are state parks and you can camp.
One other suggestion would be Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in Munising, MI. Beautiful day trip, if you have time.
Google is your friend so, take a look at the places I've mentioned and see if they are of interest to you.
I was born and raised in St Ignace and am familiar with the area so, if you have any questions, please let me know.

Above all, enjoy the ride and take lots of photo's..........

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Coming through Iowa on Interstate 80. Mile marker 86 and about 1 mile south of interstate. They have a big rock that is called the freedom rock, This person every year paint a new pictures about veterans. Very nice. there is also a website:Freedomrock.com. I leave very close to Des Moines and just off the interstate about 6 miles. If needing a place to stay the night or two, You are welcomed. Just let me know. Rick

Plus, give us your time frame of doing this trip.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
As was stated by others re: crossing the Mackinac Bridge, Center lanes are grating...fun if you are daring but scary when you are fighting wind. My wife and I have stayed at Brimley State park near Sault Ste. Marie. Fabulous camping and only a narrow wind break line of trees seperating it from Lake Superiors Whitefish Bay. IF, your route should change towards the western side of the state US31 thru Traverse City is a great route to the bridge, and US 22 over the dunes north of Manistee is a favorite. On the return, as you are coming across the upper states, if you consider a slightly northerly route instead of past/thru Chicago area, there is a high speed cross lake ferry between Milwaukee and Muskegon Michigan. I'm in Muskegon and can offer assistance if needed as you work your way thru the state, perhaps even a place to lay over if needed. You can contact me in message for contact info is you'd like to stick it in your notebook for along the way.

Jim
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10365---,00.html
http://www.midnrreservations.com/SearchPark.aspx

Have also stayed at Pontiac Lake state park off I-75 near Holly, Mi....very nice sites

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's a couple more things for you to consider on this trip. Depending upon the time of day you cross the bridge, there are several camping options in the St. Ignace, MI area which is the town on the northside of the the bridge. Right along the lake shore over looking the bridge is Straits State Park. If you were to stay there for a couple days, you could make a day of it on Mackinaw Island. Also, fifty miles north on I-75 is Sault Ste. Marie (The Soo) which has plenty of history too. Great lakes ship museum, Soo Locks tour, etc.
Back to St Ignace: after crossing the bridge, if your plan is to head west, US-2 is your route. Keep in mind, this is a two lane road that can get extremely busy in the summer with campers, trailers, etc. It does have several passing lane sections but, traffic can be slow and, it is considered a dangerous road for that reason. You'll find as you travel west, several other US Forest Service campgrounds along the way so, more camping options.
Previously mentioned was a visit to Tahquamenon Falls......there's actually two; the lower and upper falls......two separate areas just a few miles apart. Both are state parks and you can camp.
One other suggestion would be Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in Munising, MI. Beautiful day trip, if you have time.
Google is your friend so, take a look at the places I've mentioned and see if they are of interest to you.
I was born and raised in St Ignace and am familiar with the area so, if you have any questions, please let me know.

Above all, enjoy the ride and take lots of photo's..........
Thanks Colski, that is some very good information. A couple of folks have mentioned the Soo and also, the Kenesaw(sp) Peninsula. I will be heading west on US Rte. 2 enroute to Fargo, ND. I will research the other places you listed and thanks for taking the time to respond in such detail. I do appreciate it.

Coming through Iowa on Interstate 80. Mile marker 86 and about 1 mile south of interstate. They have a big rock that is called the freedom rock, This person every year paint a new pictures about veterans. Very nice. there is also a website:Freedomrock.com. I leave very close to Des Moines and just off the interstate about 6 miles. If needing a place to stay the night or two, You are welcomed. Just let me know. Rick

Plus, give us your time frame of doing this trip.
Thanks RHalbur, I will keep your suggestion and offer in mind. I've planned this trip for the first two weeks in June.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
If you're up for a somewhat technical challenge, especially pulling a trailer, you might want to check out route 555 in Ohio, the triple nickel. Lots of rolling hills and curves where you don't quite know which way you're going until you get to the crest. It's in a pretty isolated part of Ohio but there's many other interesting roads to travel on if you cut through southeastern Ohio. I road both the 555 and the Dragon last summer and enjoyed the 555 more. Here's a link:

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/440/Ohio/The-Triple-Nickle---Route-555.html

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As was stated by others re: crossing the Mackinac Bridge, Center lanes are grating...fun if you are daring but scary when you are fighting wind. My wife and I have stayed at Brimley State park near Sault Ste. Marie. Fabulous camping and only a narrow wind break line of trees seperating it from Lake Superiors Whitefish Bay. IF, your route should change towards the western side of the state US31 thru Traverse City is a great route to the bridge, and US 22 over the dunes north of Manistee is a favorite. On the return, as you are coming across the upper states, if you consider a slightly northerly route instead of past/thru Chicago area, there is a high speed cross lake ferry between Milwaukee and Muskegon Michigan. I'm in Muskegon and can offer assistance if needed as you work your way thru the state, perhaps even a place to lay over if needed. You can contact me in message for contact info is you'd like to stick it in your notebook for along the way.

Jim
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10365---,00.html
http://www.midnrreservations.com/SearchPark.aspx

Have also stayed at Pontiac Lake state park off I-75 near Holly, Mi....very nice sites
Jim, thanks for the info. I will be traveling through the Soo and will consider the alternate route to the bridge.

What a nice place to stay, i like this type of road trip.Thanks a lot for sharing this useful information.

waterton alberta accommodation
Thanks isaacoomber, I won't be traveling quite that far north/west and as nice as those accomodations appear to be, I will be towing my 'home away from home'.

If you're up for a somewhat technical challenge, especially pulling a trailer, you might want to check out route 555 in Ohio, the triple nickel. Lots of rolling hills and curves where you don't quite know which way you're going until you get to the crest. It's in a pretty isolated part of Ohio but there's many other interesting roads to travel on if you cut through southeastern Ohio. I road both the 555 and the Dragon last summer and enjoyed the 555 more. Here's a link:

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/440/Ohio/The-Triple-Nickle---Route-555.html
Thanks reckhart54, the 'triple nickel' looks like a very interesting ride. I'll keep it in mind for a trip without the camper, since it's not that far away from Virginia.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.