Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

so for all you engine rebuilders, whats it take time wise to replace the main bearings on my 1985 1200 interstate. i've never done it before. it figures it would start right at the begining of the season. i'll probably replace the stator while i'm at it. :doh::shakehead::headbanger:

· Senior Guru
4,193 Posts
imported post

I hope you can get the shells. They're purchased by the 1/2 bearing. So, you end up buying 6 pieces for the mains. If your mains are gone, so are the rods. Mike and micro-shine that crank, or the job won't last long.
Figuring the sizes you need is interesting. Do you have a manual? You can do that job in 2 days, if you are an experienced wrench. The worse part is getting the 2 pistons back into the opposite block bores. It can be done without compressors, but you have to be very careful. Don't want to break a ring. Also, be very careful when separating the cases, or when re-assembling the cases, as the oil suction screen is very delicate !!! Don't ask how I know. LOL Only lift the case straight up, or straight down. A couple of 12" all thread, or long bolts, to guide the cases back together, are almost a must, especially to save the oil suction. A lot of various wood pieces will aid in re-assembly. I use 3/4", 1/2", 1/4" thick pieces of wood about 3/4 wide and about 3" long. Then, I use a bunch of popsickle sticks for fine adjustments, as I approach the pistons. Keep a very close eye on pistons/rings, and as you bring the blocks together, gently rock the pistons, to cause the rings to enter the chamfer, and at that point, remove a popsickle stick, and proceed onto the next ring. You can also use 3 all-threads, with nuts, and "adjust" the case down very precisely, as you get each ring in. Just be cautious, and very patient, and it'll go together. Then, when the pistons are in, you'll have to remove the rest of the wood, and get the sealer on the block. Many choices here. I just use a very thin coat of Sensor safe silicone, like Ultra gray. Good luck on that, and let us know how it progresses.

BTW, I always put the ring gaps at the top, staggered, but they may not stay there long. Also, hone the cyls. very fine,Like 600 grit, or it'll he hard to start.

· Premium Member
4,818 Posts
imported post

Bob, I was nervous just reading that, because I am always afraid of breaking a ring or in your case, the oil screen. If I ever have to do that job, I know where to go for advice.

· Senior Guru
4,193 Posts
imported post

I might be doing a 94 six cyl. His trans is making some terrible noises. Or, maybe he'll buy my 90 engine. Should be interesting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.